Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why is it a child who is born overseas but whose mother is foreign & his father is a GI can't get citizenship?

But a child who is born to people violating federal law entering America illegally can get citizenship?

Favorite Answer

Sageands brought up a point - a child born overseas whose mother is foreign and his father is a G.I. IS entitled to American Citizenship. During WW2 a lot of British girls married G.I.'s, a friend of mine did that, and all their kids are Americans., BUT, what was going through my mind is, what if the FATHER was the foreigner and the mother American, but NOT legally married! and the kid was born in a different country, would THAT kid be entitled to citizenship, or should he take his Father's Nationality? I don't like this dual citizenship - you are, or you arent. A person can't have loyalties to two different countries! What if those two countries were at war with one another? And it DOES happen! Any child who is born with a foreign Father, SHOULD take HIS Nationality.

These anchor babies! So, they just happened to pop into this world on American soil. Where does HIS loyalty lay? He is brought up by these aliens and by their countries traditions, not ours. Sometimes doesn't learn English until it's time for him to go to school. It seems there is a double standard where THEY can fly their countries flag, but us Americans are told to take ours down! We must not show any patriotism to our own country (those American kids sporting the American flag on thier T-shirts at school, for instance!) for FEAR of upsetting these little "darlings"! They label us Racists if we do! REALLY!? Is it racist to show love for your own country? There WAS a time, when I lived in California, before I became an American citizen, We had a small flag pole in the garden, and I went and put up the country of my birth's flag under the California State Flag! OopS! I was told I could NOT do that! Bad girl! Only American flags could be flown on poles!!! What happened to THAT law? Why is it foreigners can flaunt HEIR flags anytime they please and we can't?

The child in your scenario would most likely be able to get US citizenship.

Assuming the parents are legally married and the father was in the US for a period of 5 years (2 after the age of 14) during his life, the child would automatically gain US citizenship.

If the parents were not legally married, the child could still attain US citizenship provided

1) a blood relationship between the applicant and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;

2) the father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the applicant's birth;

3) the father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the applicant reaches the age of 18 years, and

4) while the person is under the age of 18 years --

A) applicant is legitimated under the law of their residence or domicile,

B) father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or

C) the paternity of the applicant is established by adjudication court.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

So your scenario is utterly false.

As for the child of the illegal immigrants - that is what is in the constitution at present. If you want to amend it there are processes by which it can be done - stop whining and start working on it.

Because it's in that lousy Constitution that we Republicans hate.

because this is america?