Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

What age is a good age to tell your child that the tooth fairy, santa, and the easter bunny arent real?

I believe that they are all real and Im 16.

I do this because I work with kids and they always say, ' THE TOOTH FAIRY GAVE ME THIS!!!'

and things like that, but than again you have that one kid that makes them upset by telling them

that all of it is not real.

So here are the questions:

What age did you tell your child they werent real?

Did your child find out on their own from someone else?

or do you keep everything alive and continue on telling your child its real?

and how many of you still mark 'From Santa' on your christmas gifts?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't ever need to tell them - they will figure it out themselves.

Sometimes the child will come and ask a parent if Santa is real - I would ask them "What do YOU think?" and see what they say. We explained to our kids that "Santa" is the Spirit-of-Kindness-and-Love and sometimes you get gifts from "Santa" and sometimes you get to BE "Santa" by buying, wrapping and giving happiness in the form of presents and gifts.

Source(s): Mother of 5
  • 1 decade ago

We never pretended any of them were real. We don't celebrate Christmas, as our religion has plenty enough holidays without incorporating those of others.

So here are your answers:

What age did you tell your child they werent real?

We always taught our child that Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc, were like any other belief - it's up to the person whether they believe, and it's inappropriate of us to say otherwise.

Did your child find out on their own from someone else?

She always knew.

o

r do you keep everything alive and continue on telling your child its real?

Our holidays are plenty "alive."

and how many of you still mark 'From Santa' on your christmas gifts?

We don't exchange Christmas gifts.

Now, to turn your question around. You stated: but than again you have that one kid that makes them upset by telling them that all of it is not real.

Our child had to spend her younger years dealing with people who assumed she believed in something that doesn't exist, or who told her "Santa isn't bringing you anything" because we don't celebrate Christmas. She was also told she must be a bad girl, because Santa visits "all" good children.

Hurt works both ways.

All the best.

• 1 decade ago

I am in my 30s and I wish Santa was real. There is something so magical about it. I will let my son believe as long as he can because you only have the magic for so long and you have to grow up. I would encourage the belief in Santa as long as you can. Every once in a while I can still feel that magic at Christmas time when I can almost believe in Santa but I know he not real and soon lose that feeling.

What age did you tell your child they werent real? My son is still young but I will let him believe as long as possible.

Did your child find out on their own from someone else? To young to know. Hes only three. My step-daughter found out on her own around 12.

or do you keep everything alive and continue on telling your child its real? I will still act like Santa is real even when my son stops believing. At least for a few years. He still might secretly believe but won't want to admit it.

and how many of you still mark 'From Santa' on your christmas gifts? We still do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't believe there is any harm in not telling them.

Such things as the tooth fairy are usually phased out as the child grows up (doesn't lose teeth regularly) ... so they sort of just forget about that one.

The Easter Bunny and Santa ... well personally the Easter Bunny seems very far fetched, and not something we really talk about much with our children

Santa is something that I believe is not a person per se (well not anymore) but is the "spirit" of giving. Again children should be left to "outgrow" the belief in Santa (per se) and shown/taught about the more important aspects of Christmas, e.g. giving, family, love etc etc

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

• 1 decade ago

I found out on my own about Santa when i was about five.

That same year at Easter, a younger friend of mine ruined the Easter bunny for me.

And i dont remember when i figured out the tooth fairy, but i still wanted the money so i pretended for awhile.

I think by the time your kids go to school, other kids will interfere and it will get ruined for them.

Im pregnant with my first child and thats something i have to think about. Whether or not im going to tell them about the tooth fairy, Santa, and the Easter bunny, or just never introduce them. I think it will be easier not even to tell them. Christmas will still be fun and they will get as many presents, same with Easter, and if they want money for their teeth, i would be glad to give it to them. I just wouldnt want my kids to think i lied to them and have to deal witht the heartbreak and them thinking i betrayed them.

• 1 decade ago

hey

i stopped beieving at 3

i know its so young

my mom said i wasnt stupid

she was cheap too-only giving me like a dollar

dont kids realize when johnny get $20 ad sally anne get $5 somethings wrong?

santa is fat so how ould he fit through a chimney?

i dont even hav a chimney

my mom says he comes through her bedroom window

i think parents let theyre children believe in santa so they can eat cookies

as for the tooth fairy. what does she do with teeth?

how can santa be at like 3 malls at the same time?

easter bunny? dude you can tell its a costume when u take pics with him he has a freaking zipper

oh and my friends mom wokeup l8 and forgot to put the basket out..wow

poor kid

im 13 btw

• 1 decade ago

They wont hear it from me....

I'm 13 and I still believe why? Because its fun to believe :D

Life is so short that you just cant toss "magic" like that out of the window. you will only get it once. And you are only a child once. I'm not a parent but in this day-in-age magic like that just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

• 1 decade ago

I specifically remember asking my dad when I was 4 if Santa was real, and he told me "no." I was just fine with that since I'd had my doubts anyways, and am now grateful he was honest with me and not fake. Granted my older brother and I were home schooled so we couldn't really ruin it for others, but still.

• 1 decade ago

My seven year old recently asked me, "Mom, just be real with me. Are you Santa Claus?!"

I responded with, "Oh honey, Santa's a man! Plus there is no way Mom could get that many presents around the world in one night! ....Maybe ask your Dad?"

I'm keeping it real.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.