John B
John B asked in SportsBoxing · 10 years ago

How does Juan Manuel Marquez fare up against the lightweight division?

Hopefully yall have read/seen about Marquez's win on Saturday over Diaz where he still showed he had something left in the tank. IMO JMM does not belong in anything over 140 lbs, be it Khan or even Pac. But how do you think Marquez, 36 and lineal champ, does against the top contenders in the lightweight division where JMM appears effective n comfortable.

vs Humberto Soto?

vs Miguel Acosta?

vs Michael Katsidis?

This is genuinely coming from a non biased point, but I seriously do believe JMM beats Soto and Acosta (and even Marco Antonio Barrera), but loses a decision against the younger slugger in Kats. Who do you pick? Thoughts, comments, concerns, it's all good, peace!

Favorite Answer

I think he would beat everybody that you mentioned. Like you said, I think he comforably beats Acosta, Soto and even Barrera. I think the Katsidis fight would be the most competitive, but I think Marquez would pull it out. He is too good at counter-punching, and Katsidis has looked more composed as off late but still lacks a lot of defensive skill. I think it would resemble the Casamayor-Katsidis fight, Marquez would do well early but Katsidis would come on in the middle rounds. Then eventually Katsidis would get caught late and start to fade. I don't know if Marquez would knock him out like Casamayor did, but I think he either would stop him late or win a competitive decision somewhere in the 115-113 range. I really hope that fight happens.