Who is opposed to childhood obesity laws?

I am writing a paper and a question I need to answer is who is opposed to creating laws to prevent childhood obesity... Such as soda tax, school nutrition changing and physical education being mandatory in school. Its hard to believe anyone would be against bills passing to help live a healthier life but my teacher says their are plenty of groups such as companies that sell junk food or people who would take a financial loss from these new laws. Can anyone help me with more information about these opposed people/groups?

Favorite Answer

Uh should we outlaw homosexuality, promiscuous sex, alcohol, dangerous pastimes {sports and mountain climbing to name a few}, driving or any activity in which you could hurt yourself. All of these things have substantial costs when they go wrong but no one cares about those because it is easier to make a good case against those ugly fat kids. I wish you would be less narrow minded and look at the big picture, we are not the property of the US government we are citizens of the US. Now quit blaming those evil corporations and lay the blame at those responsible, the parents.

See, this is typical liberal mind-set. Something you don't like, make a law, never mind it intrudes into peoples lives and the personal choices they make, good or bad, for their health or enjoyment. Soda tax. Potato chip tax. Salt regulations in restaurants. Ban Big Macs, make all french fries fat (and flavor) free. Every single law, stupid or reasonable, takes away another chip of personal freedom of choice in America. If people cared about their kids getting fat at school, they could get involved with the local school district and demand changes in the lunch room. But no, let the nanny state deal with the little lardo's, I don't have time, as I'm busy stuffing my own fat face with junk food. But it's MY CHOICE as to what I eat, don't eat, wear, who I hang out with, car I drive, smoke or not, exercise or lay around watching TV.

Libs just don't seem to get it, people of intelligence do NOT want a nanny state entwined into every corner of our lives. They can NOT see that you can NOT legislate intelligence, morals, responsibility or any other quality into existence in the population.

Source(s): ban salt http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/11/201... Ban toys in 'happy meals' http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/28/fast.food.toy... (Didn't know they were all that fattening!) Ban fat people? http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/01/no-fat...
  • x x

You bigot! You are continuing to discriminate against FAT persons!

How about a tax on your precious TOFU?

Yeah Tofu free America!

Anyone below 22% body fat will not be allowed to work at my company!

Do you not see how Fascist the Liberals are?

Why not deny fat people from voting and then unemployed people and the members of the libertarian party and the all people you disagree with.

Liberals are such fascists!

Well I'm against it based not on self-interest, but on principle. It is morally wrong to restrict the behavior or freedom of other people.

While I'm not against leading a healthy life, it is improper to try to legislate morality. Why then, did we bother separating church and state? How do we know that YOUR plan is the RIGHT plan?

i tell you this much your teacher is right on point...anyone would be crazy to think there are people out there opposed to good anything if it hurts them.youngster this is the way of the world and theres not much you or i can do about it.also when things change people get rattled cause their afraid and most understandably .we tend to resent what we don't understand.lot of it is ego.if you can one day figure that one out let me know...i do believe if president bush was in office and he proposed a tax on these things you wouldn't be asking this question.it wouldn't be an issue.im bout as poor as the next man but im patriotic enough to know my civic duty calls for taxes being raised.and id do it to.i pay taxes and i don't worry about much.i know we cant all be like that but its less stressful.i promise...

I am. It's none of their damn business if I am fat. Granted, obesity is terrible, but it's not the government's place to step in. I don't want a nanny-state.

It's basic knowledge that you don't legislate these type of things. It puts judgement of your privacy into hands of unelected , changing bureaucracy.