Christians: By what criteria do you pick and choose what scriptures are true?

and what others are mere metaphors?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

They are all true; but must be taken together to understand them in context.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

II Timothy 3:16-17

But if you do not begin by believing the Gospel, nothing will ever make any sense to you.

Concerning metaphors - why do you assume the weatherman doesn't literally believe the sun is rising when he speaks of "sunrise" ?

When something is a figure of speech, normally it is obvious.

• 9 years ago

If all the writing in the bible were parable stories it would still be a holy book full of godly and spiritual wisdom. but it would be much more limited in its impact on our thinking, faith,understanding and motivation.

The Christian's guide-lines for living are to found in the New Testament because a new relationship was set up between God and the believer after the work & sacrifice of Christ and the coming of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is the key character of the whole Bible. He emphasised the love and mercy of God ,and then when the Spirit was given to indwell the believer an intimate relationship with God was initiated. This relationship with God is true, and provable.

• 9 years ago

Its not that hard if you would actually read the bible for yourself. Only someone with the intelligence of a bean would not understand the difference between literal and figurative language, when the context is right before you.

For example...In revelation 19:15 There is a VISION going on here. And it reads "And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

Now if you read the before and after you would know it is a prophetic vision. If you read the middle, you would know it is a prophetic vision.

If you read the bible and study it with an open mind, you will also reach a point in your study where you can cross reference. For example, we know from other scriptures that this "sword" in the verse is the word of God.

How can a sword be a word?? Its called a metaphor.

• 9 years ago

You obviously mean which scriptures we take to be literally true and which we take to be figuratively true. Most Christians believe the entire Bible to be true in some way. To answer your questions, some passages are clearly figurative, such as Jesus saying " I am the bread of life " - not many Christians think Jesus is a piece of bread. Like Aesop's fable of the tortoise and the hare, truth can be found even if the story is not literally true. Also, if there are contradictory passages, or paradoxes as I see them, such as the two Creation stories in Genesis, then I assume that figurative meaning is implied. Finally, if a passage seems to have no figurative or poetic meaning, or does not seem extraordinary or outlandish, I take it to be literally true. Extra-Biblical sources can also be used to learn about historical events described in the Bible. However, Christians have different ideas on how to take different scriptures in the Bible, and my opinion is one of many.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

They are all true and some of them are metaphors.

When Jesus says "a man plants a field and grows ..." then we know it's a metaphor, not a "real" man.

If He says "there was once a man who went for a walk and found..." then we know there was a real man who did this.

It's not hard, look up what a metaphor is in the dictionary.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

When you believe in a book that says it is okay to kill disobedient children (Exodus 21:15, Proverbs 20:20, Leviticus 20:9), take slaves (Leviticus 25:44-46), sell your daughter (Exodus 21:7-11), and kill homosexuals (Leviticus 20:13) you can either pick and choose, stop believing, or rack up a lot of felonies.

Source(s): Proud black atheist
  • 9 years ago

I don't. I understand what i can of it, and i leave the rest till The LORD makes it clear.

All of the bible is true. Some of it is for a people under a different agreement. Those parts that are for the old agreement are not for me they are obsolete. I am a child of the new agreement.

As for all the old testament blood shed...If you saw a Bale worshiper toss a new born baby into a fire... Wouldn't you want to rid the land of them?

• everything is true according to a christian, and anything outside the bible must be the work of the devil for it disproves its "holy" word. if you ask a christian for proof of something that is conflicting in the bible or proof of something that shows the bibles truth THROUGH ANY OTHER PEICE OF LITERATURE IN HISSTORY......they come up blank. because christians prove the bibles truth...through the bible......the words pethetic come to mind alot when i think about this and think about how most christians havent even read the entire bible back to front otherwise they would know much more about the so called "satan" and the tortures GOD does to others and how almost HALF of the book of judges are incredibly similar to those of greek mythology and Olympian Polytheism which came THOUSANDS OF YEARS before the bible or christ was ever even a thought. stories about hercules with just a different name, stories about andromeda, perseus, its all very real and verey much inside the "book of truths".

if only things could be made clear to the minds full of the bibles smoke.

Source(s): -a good old fashioined Greco-Polytheistic Wiccan
  • To those who answered that all scripture is true and useful, are you remembering that your god commanded death by stoning for many things, and he also stated many times that his laws are eternal? The New Testament doesn't get you out of stoning adulterers, disobedient kids, witches, and gay people. Do you still think all scripture is good? Do you still think your god is worthy of worship? If so, WHY?

• 9 years ago

They choose which ones support their view of the world, and conveniently ignore the rest.

As an example, they are often fond of quoting from Leviticus, where a man who lies with another man as he lies with a woman should be put to death, but then when asked about other parts of Levitucus such as not eating shellfish, not wearing cloth of more than one fabric, or even killing your own children if they back-talk you, well, then those are outdated and we dont need to follow those.

Hypocrites.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.