? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 10 years ago

Im getting married next weekend & wanna have some drinks but Im nursing, how can I do both?

Next weekend my Fiancé and I are getting married. His mom is going to take the baby over night and we're going to celebrate with a huge BBQ with some friends. Can I knock a couple of rounds back & still breastfeed or would I have to wait a few days before I could breastfeed my 2 week old again?

K: yes I am leaving my nursing 2 week old overnight with his grandmother; if you have a problem with that then maybe you shouldn't have posted an answer on my question because I didn't ask how my parenting skills were. Thanks.

• Beth
    Favorite Answer

As soon as you are sober you can breastfeed. If it's just a few drinks, then that will probably only take a few hours. If you get really drunk, then obviously it will take longer for the alcohol to get out of your system, but certainly 24 hours later it will be fine.

If you are going to be away from your baby more than a few hours, you need to pump to maintain your supply. Pump at the same times/frequency that your baby normally nurses. If you are drunk while pumping, that milk should be discarded.

• Abby

They will not waive it for the military, you will have to wait your time. If you are not sure if you are in school or not then you can't make plans unless you really know. During CT school and BESS there is no way they will allow 7 days off. You also need to speak your your instructor about this and find out what will need to take place if it is allowed. With this marriage, is she going to be going with you when you report to the first command? If so has she finished high school or will that be a requirement? How will she get to the base when you are working? How will she use the base facilities when you are deployed? And the list goes on from there. You really need to figure out what is best for both of you in this situation because you can go anywhere from Guam to Hawaii to San Diego or Norfolk and several other locations. What will she be able to do if you are deployed is the main question you need to ask? Can she handle doing all the finances , purchases, schooling, etc.. on her own? Or would it be better for you to wait, report to the command, find out the schedule for the next year or so and then make the decision. If you are going to be gone longer than 70% of the year, then maybe this can be a test if this relationship will work or not. If you truly love each other then it can. You are also have to undergo a lot of long hours for qualifications, those will take up a lot of time away from each other as well. That being said if you still go through with it, the Submarine community is very tight knit. They will give support to you & her when it is needed. The command's wives will also help if they can, but no promises in that it will always be there for her.

• LOLeah

Alcohol leaves the breastmilk at the same rate it leaves the blood. If you're not feeling the effects of it when you nurse/pump then you're not expressing a significant amount. Pumping and dumping is unnecessary and a huge waste. Have your couple of drinks and wait a few hours, then you're more than likely in the clear.

If you're just having a couple drinks, I would think if you waited a few hours after, then pumped and discarded the milk, you'd be safe to feed again in a couple hours. Alcohol doesn't stay in your system very long.

After you've finished drinking, you need to wait 3 hours before you can safely resume breastfeeding.

You may need to pump and dump, but there's no need to wait longer than 3 hours to resume breastfeeding. All the alcohol will be out of your system by then.

Source(s): My doctor

Pump before you even start drinking and make sure you pump enough for at least 24 hours after you drink that way the alcohol is completely out of your system!!!

congrats on getting married, my advice is to breastfeed before wedding, express some and stock a supply while ur away and before bbq if you can fit it in pump more to keep supply, then when you go back home wait maybe 2hrs then feed her and should be okay.

Source(s): LactatioN Consultant Yahoo Messenger world_logan

Pump and save up enough bottles ahead of time for grandma to feed, you will need to pump or express milk as often as your babe normally eats as that early your supply is not completely established, this will help keep it up. You are more the safe to nurse the ext day when you pick her up.

From what I know it would be best to express enough milk for a day or two so the baby can be bottle fed while you get the alcohol out of the system. I think you can have a drink or two when breast feeding but must bear in mind the baby's liver is not well developed for alcohol. if you are planning to have more than one or two I would express in advance enough to bottle feed for a day or two.

Congratulations on getting married!! Have a lovely time!! x

You need to pump and dump the milk after for at least one hour after the last drink, I do not know anyone who actually gets drunk so maybe if you are actually drunk you will want to pump and dump for a few hours after just to be safe.