What can you do with a political science degree? or communications degree? Am I screwing myself over?

I really love both of these subjects, but i'm also thinking of minoring in Natural Resources since green energy is super popular nowadays, but with a major in polisci/comm, what does the average person do for an occupation? does it pay well?

also, how good is the University of Michigan Ann Arbor for communications? I know it's amazing for

poli sci.

thank you! :)

• Mel M
    Favorite Answer

University of Michigan is a great school, no matter what you choose as a major. A bachelor's degree in Pol. Sci. or Communications can get you about the same results in finding a job. I suggest choosing the one that interests you the most. You can end up in a variety of career fields with these majors since they are liberal arts degrees.

A more important factor in landing a good job is experience. While you are in school, seek out internships and part-time jobs that will give you a chance to see what a potential career might be like. For example, if you're interested in politics, most legislators have student internships. If you think public relations sounds interesting, see if your school has part-time jobs in its office of public afffairs. You can also gain experience by getting involved in clubs and activities on campus. For PR, you could become the publicity chairman of the student dance-a-thon that raises money for the local children's hospital (as an example).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Political Science actually is not a good major...You can't have any focused discipline in this degree...it's not even good as a pre-law course...the only good thing about this major is that, your knowledge is not only limited to certain fields...it's not also a good discipline if you're looking forward for a great occupation...after finishing a political science degree, you'd better proceed in taking up Law, or, have an Education degree in order for you to teach...You'll be a great teacher then...

Good Luck!...

P.S

PolSci/Public Administration graduate here...:-)

If you have a degree - or any alternative qualification - then you'll already be ahead of the masses when it comes to hunting for careers. My friend has a degree and he wasn't certain what direction to go with it, but he discovered some good tips on the website in the resource box below which aided him to decide that he wanted to be a lab assistant. There is loads of help on the website regarding alternative careers.

both those degrees suck big time change it to something else and not psychology thats another weak one