Elle
Lv 4
Elle asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 10 years ago

Do you think math was invented or discovered?

Just want to hear your theories!

I most definitely believe it was invented.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Interesting question.

I'd say it was neither invented nor discovered, or a little from both. Mathematics is... nature's language, to call it so. Things in nature happen according to some very precise mathematical formulas, even though math itself is abstract by definition. It may be a bit like asking whether concepts were invented or discovered. Math was invented because, before humans discovering its principles, there was nobody else to "do math", and discovered because the truths it talks about have always been there, and are universal.

Anyway, "mathematics" is a very abstract concept. Formulas in mathematics are discovered, not invented, if we were to get a little more specific.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Invented!

• 10 years ago

Invented.

• 10 years ago

Math is an objective truth, even though it may be affected by our minds, needs, and personal preferences. For this reason I would say it was discovered. Anything invented has also been "discovered" anyway, so discovered is definitely the way to go on this question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I always think about this lol but I think it was invented. We weren't born knowing the numbers 1 2 3, etc. Someone had to come up with them and all the theories etc.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Invented, considering things that are discovered have to already exist.

Math is a concept that helps us measure things, it is abstract.You cant discover something that does not physically exist.

• 10 years ago

Math was not really invented but rather formed through needs to collet data and keep count of supplies and crops. It then was evolved by many Greek, Roman, Chinese, Egyptians and Mesopotmian matematicians to what it is today.

Source(s): World History
  • James
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Invented because there are no numbers or formulas in nature. Just beginnings and ends and we create formulas to explain what happened in between.

• 10 years ago

it was invented by the romans or greeks or egyptians (one of em) as an easy way to solve problems concerning length, width and height for structures they were making.

then people starting using it for useless math equations.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Invented, we use it every day, then scientists found a use to it, and made it into a discovery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.