Why did aristotle say "Tolerance & Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society"?

Did he witness Greece going through this? Or other societies?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, dealing with moral decline and lax social standards usually leads to the downfall of a prosperous society, as people are not as interested in doing for their greater good. I believe he saw this in rome and from other books or sources. there is one distinct pattern of dominant societies is that they become split or weak and unwilling to do the things necessary to save the society while other people work harder to become dominant. It is logical to say that if you study a lot about society.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

I agree with both, but only commenting due to people voting down Steven's comment. I think he just poorly explained the example he chose. Just read the last sentence to get the gist of Steven's message.

From Steven

"if a society is not willing to stand up for one value, it will not stand up for others."

From ?

"dealing with moral decline and lax social standards usually leads to the downfall of a prosperous society, as people are not as interested in doing for their greater good"

When you don't believe in defending any principle because of the overwhelming desire to tolerate anything, you become apathetic and that moral (your guiding principles) decline brings a society that had a desire to make everything better squabble over things that don't add prosperity to a society and thus it will collapse.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I think the point he was trying to make in this quote, is that when you tolerate something antithetical to your society, you contribute to its downfall or at least its dramatic change.

An example would be a society that values equal rights for women. If that society begins to tolerate people who treat women as property, then in essence they are saying that equal rights for women are NOT important to that society. This means that in Aristotle's view, if a society is not willing to stand up for one value, it will not stand up for others.

• paul
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It's an interesting question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.