What can you do with the website developing program Joomla?

Hello, I'm not very experienced with Joomla, but I was just curious what all you can do with it? Can you have your own domain name? Is it a webhost, or does it just help you create/develop your website?

Any information is useful, thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • JustMe
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Joomla is a CMS (Content Management System), think of it as a Lego set. What can you make with Lego blocks? - anything at all. It is for building Web sites, pretty much any kind of a Web site, check out Joomla showcase with a list of sites created by Joomla - http://community.joomla.org/showcase/

You will see government sites, community sites, online shopping sites, etc. And best of all - it's free.

Yes, you can use it with your own domain, which you have to purchase and you also need Web hosting too.

Youtube has a few nice tutorials which show you visually step-by-step how to install it, set it up and use it.

Good luck.

Source(s): I am a Joomla guru :)
  • 1 decade ago

Joomla is a PHP software application called a content management system.

So, just like any other html/PHP code, it is independent of a domain name, web host...

You need a domain name and web host to create any website.

Joomla allows you to easily build dynamic database driven websites with an incredible amount of features. Everything from member registration and login , to shopping carts, blogs, event managers, photo galleries... There are literally thousands of add ons that you can install with a click of a button.

• Joomla is like Drupal - it's a Content Managment System (CMS). It is not a webhost, it is not a domain name. Basically you install it on your pre-existing webhost, and it provides advanced tools to manage and display large arrays of web content.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.