What's The Name Of This Strange Old Film?

The film was made either in the 60s or early to mid 70s. It was about this man in the 1800's who created a way how to remove the soul from the body and I think this meant they could stay alive forever. He first tests it on a hamster and then on his self. He then wants his daughter and her boyfriend to do the same but they are a bit reluctant and then a fire happens and destroys his lab. But this has happened during the time his soul and the hamster soul are in a box so he has now lost them. At the end of the film you see him in present time and is over 100 years old and the hamster comes out his pocket and he is also very ancient looking. I think the name of the film begins with an X or maybe a Q and I think the name of the film is just one word

Favorite Answer

The Asphyx (1973)

aka The Horror of Death

starring Robert Stephens, Robert Powell, Jane Lapotaire, Fiona Walker

IMDb synopsis:

Hugo is a brilliant turn-of-the-century scientist loved and respected by his family and friends, admired by his colleagues. But, he is a man quickly becoming obsessed with a curious and frightening question: What is the mysterious apparition found in the photographs of his dying subjects? Hugo brings to a family boating party his newest invention, a motion picture camera. The party quickly turns into a disaster as he captures on film the tragic drowning of his wife and son. When the film is replayed later, the same ghostlike presence appears. It flies towards his son and vanishes inside his dying body. Has Hugo discovered The Asphyx, the spirit of the dead described in Greek mythology: a spirit which lives in constant agony, not finding rest until it takes possession of a human body? Could the spirit, if captured, become the key to immortality? Hugo is compelled to find the answers. It is a ghoulish search, with eternally haunting results. // Yes, the scientist ends up with a guinea pig (I thought it was) as his eternal companion.

Here's the movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6R1Mz9FdA

Youtube thumbnail

A remake is scheduled for 2011, but I doubt that it possibly could be as memorable as the original.

I had a hamster once... Mindful little SOB