Problem with my external hard disk?

I got problems with my external hard disk. This was happen yesterday. The system (windows xp) will freeze when everytime I plug the external hd. I dont know whats wrong. The day before yesterday, everything is sooo ok until I plug off, and then re-plug yesterday. I tried to restart the computer with the hard... show more I got problems with my external hard disk. This was happen yesterday. The system (windows xp) will freeze when everytime I plug the external hd. I dont know whats wrong. The day before yesterday, everything is sooo ok until I plug off, and then re-plug yesterday.

I tried to restart the computer with the hard drive plugged in but just after the Windows XP loading screen the computer freezes, when I remove the External Hard drive Windows XP continues and I plug it in again, I log on but the moment the log on tune plays Windows freezes, I disconnect the external hard drive and windows resumes.

What's worse? Whenever windows loads and everything is ready, I plug in the external hard drive and everything becomes insanely slow, and most of the time it will not respond. I use task manager and see that disk usage is on around 5% and CPU usage is around 2% so I just don't get it... I try to close task manager but it won't respond either. The only option is to disconnect the hard drive and everything is normal again!

Before this, I have no problems with anti-virus or whatever. This is just suddenly happen. Please help me. Who ever has passed this problem as mine please, I need your help.
Update: Is it got something to do with the driver?