Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaOther - Latin America · 1 decade ago

Do people in Colombia and Venezuela wish they gathered and formed a country, just like in Bolivar times?

They would be stronger, there would be more peace,

And I noticed they are almost like "two water drops", almost identical...

They share same culture, same food, same music, same good looking people, same beautiful language..

They are the two " Criollo", Caribbean Latin American countries (different from other Latin American states.

The only difference is politics

So why don't they unite, for peace and prosperity?

• Edvin
    Favorite Answer

Hi Allan D;

I honestly think what you say will never ever happen for one simple reason, venezuelan people don't feel like colombians, nor colombians feel like venezuelans, personally I will never ever feel Colombian, supossing that Bolivar achieved his goal of union, our name will be Colombia not Venezuela, Bogota the capitol city, and my country an appendix of Colombia, although Bolivar loved Colombia so much, this was the country and the people that later back-stabbed him, and let him die almost naked, poor with few friends around, after all his willing and struggles to unite us, his intentions were not bad, however impossible, thanks to a very nationalistic guy named Jose Antonio Paez, (although he wasn't a really good guy), after all we had a federated republic named Venezuela, not Colombia, what you think is not that true really, we are both diferent countries, with diferent cultures, our history is diferent from 1832 until now, and now due to political diference, the impossible became most impossible, but this political diference topic is relative new, what really answers your question, is that we dont feel like colombians, and colombians dont feel like venezuelans, is better to leave things the way they are.

I hope I've helped you.

They may be similar in some cultural qualities, but I don't think they should form into one country.

Colombia has views closer to countries like the U.S.

Venezuela's Chavez is practically a dictator that is blocking his beautiful country's growth.

It would be great if they were at peace with each other, so that trade and economy could nurture the region even more, but I think they'd be good as two countries, not as one.

Right now, I don't see them being cooperative for a while. It's possible in the future, but not with Chavez in place.

I hope Colombia keeps growing, and that Venezuela can someday sprout to show the world what beauty it offers -- as soon as Chavez isn't in power.

• Mike K

Hello Alan,

I do not know what their people think but that's what Simon Bolivar would have wanted; a United States of South America. Guess he was too much of an idealist rather than staunchly pratical like Washington.

I have read various historians who said Bolivar would be rolling in his grave these days if he saw how things had turned out.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

• Hondu

A country of what? One great nation under the dictatorship of Hugo Chavez? That's the only way Chavez would have it. It could have happened sometime in the past or maybe someday in the future. But not at this time.

North Americans look like Canadians but i am sure they would both have good reasons why they don't want to be joined.

And the English look like the Irish but we sure as hell don't wished to be ruled by them in any way shape or form. It took 800 hundred years to get rid of them the first time.

I would liken it to having a big monkey on your back.

Source(s): John Boyle http://www.myspaceba.com/

Chavez (venezuelan president) its just annoyin colombia so much and we colombians just want peace between the two countries cause we need from each other ( we need their oil, they need our milk, meat, etc..) so we just really want peace, and no they are 2 different countries and they are not gonna gather together again like that one time.

Source(s): im colombian
  • ?

because chavez is insanee!! duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh

i would go the hell away from that place if that happened with chavez in charge.. but as in the bolivar times, bogota would be the capital, so it would be nice, and sane! ;)

but you see the like.. the same, they are not :P