Cursing or swearing in Young Adult novels...?

I am a 7th grade teacher in a private christian school. I find that our reading list is very, very, VERY limited because they won't allow books that have even ONE curse word. I have expanded the reading list from 21 books to 37 recently and I want to add more for a larger, more ethnic variety; however, I don' t have time to read 15-20 books before school starts. So, does anyone have anything warning about the following books I am considering?

• The Wave by Todd Strasser (Jewish)

• Slave Dancer by Paula Fox

• Night by Elie Wiesel (Jewish)

• Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

• The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (Hispanic)

• The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

• The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

• Children of the River by Linda Crew (Cambodian)

• The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (Chinese)

• The First Part Last by Angela Johnson (African-American)

Or, of course, If you have any other suggestions for middle schoolers without language that would be very much appreciative. Thanks for any who respond.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Well, "Go Ask Alice" has cursing in it, and a lot of talk about drugs and some sex, so they will most likely not allow it. I remember reading "The Wave" in my 8th grade English class. I don't remember much about it, but I think it would be okay. "Night" I also read in 8th grade, so that one might also be okay. Although, I went to a regular public school... Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The Seer Series by Linda Joy Singleton Blue is for Nightmares (Stolarz Series) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Graceling by Kristin Cashore Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater Stardust, Neil Gaiman Beastly, Alex Finn A Kiss in Time, Alex Finn