Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why wasn't President George H.W.Bush re-elected on November 3, 1992?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

High unemployment rate, approval rating under 35%, and Bill Clinton ran a strong campaign. Also, many would argue that Ross Perot took many votes away from moderate conservatives who were pro-business.

Source(s): I got a 5 on the US Gov't & Politics AP exam and am majoring in poli sci
  • 1 decade ago

I guess most people just felt like Bill Clinton was the smarter choice after all most republicans are not the most intelligent people in politics John Mc Cain openly admitted that he didn't know very much about the economy at a time when we really needed when we really need some one with some brains to take control of things

• 1 decade ago

He was the victim of an economic correction. There was a slowdown in the economy starting earlier that year. Clinton and Gore capitalized on it. Gore made a famous fluffy remark, "What's up should be down, what's down should be up." This was also the level of their understanding of the issue, but it was enough. Clinton got in and Bush was out. A month later and before inauguration, the economy started improving, showing it to be a correction all along.

Bush's mistake was trying to deny there was anything wrong, even though there was not tangible economic problems causing it. Even an action that appeared to do something might have had an effect.

• 4 years ago

in the context of your added comments, from the top of the excellent melancholy till the Nineteen Sixties liberal agendas and classes ruled federal coverage and the imbalance between the classes favoring the midsection class vs. the gross revenues to realize this coming from the wealthy created monetary and social themes which bring about the emergence of conservative monetary and social rules championed via Ronald Reagan via furnish element and what got here to be often used as 'trickle down' monetary concept. despite if furnish element monetary concept has a place in monetary managegment, only as 'call for element' rules which incorporate have been supported via the liberals, adherance to the two one concept or the different for too long creates imbalance. furnish element, pursued too long after the emergence of the right into political means, right now shifted wealth faraway from the midsection class to the wealthy elite; maximum individuals of the electorate have seen the effect of the guidelines the Republican celebration nevertheless desires to pursue and has rejected that on the polls. The GOP nevertheless hasn't gotten the thought that almost each and every of the inhabitants favors the balanced physique of innovations of spending cuts coupled with greater taxes on the wealthiest in this united states. Frankly, till the celebration comes around the only way they are going to save any style of means is by using the help of the individuals who choose extending tax breaks to the wealthy...are the wealthy. And the individuals who have faith that the tax breaks have created greater and greater advantageous jobs for the midsection class, which became into the factor of the tax breaks that the right and the wealthy stated have been mandatory.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.

"Somehow," the word 'wimp' appeared on the scene and oooopsy-daisy! Then he was video'ed in a grocery store, STARSTRUCK by the scanner:: he doesn't shop, like we little peo[le do,, nor did he have even the vaguest idea of what a gallon of milk costs... that scanner incident bit him hard.

Then there was the projectile-vomiting situation in Japan, and GHWB's silly "I don't like broccoli, and I'm the President, so I'm not gonna ("nah gunna" according to Dana Carvey on these legendary SNL skits) eat broccoli."

A decent man, I guess, but really just an elitist carpetbagger who is out of touch with REAL PEOPLE.

And yes, much of Clinton's early financial scores started under GHWB. Too bad Junior couldn't emulate the Old Man.

Clinton is also a very smart guy, maybe one of our top 5-ever Presidents, complete with the morals of an alley-cat reminiscent of several other Prez's down through the years.

Source(s): . rational lib/dem/prog .
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He raised taxes, which actually turned out to help the economy but to most Americans that is the cardinal sin of politics. I'm a democrat but I think that GHWB's move helped Bill Clinton preside over the best economy my generation has ever seen.

• 1 decade ago

J Danforth Quayle and H Ross Perot. Mostly Quayle-though!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Recession.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THE ECONOMY. EVEN THOUGH WE WERE STARTING TO COME OUT OF A RECESSION AT THAT TIME, MOST PEOPLE DIDN'T NOTICE IT AT THAT TIME

• 1 decade ago

Same reason Obama will not be reelected November 3, 2012

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.