Kris asked in HealthDental · 10 years ago

Regarding root canals and medication?

I'm told I need a root canal [on tooth 31] and that the root has begun to calcify. My co-payment for the root canal is $165. The dentist's office, however, says that because of the calcification, medication of some kind is required and the cost of that medication is an additional $450. Is this 'usual and reasonable'?

Favorite Answer

No. If you needed a root canal and it is calcified the dentist should put a medication in the root system and have it sit there for a few weeks. The price should stay the same. And if you know that your co-pay is $165 there is no way the medication would cost $450 alone especially when you have insurance. Look for another dentist.

Source(s): I work for an endodontist.

never heard of that before. usually if medication is needed it would be prescribed. Perhaps they are charging you for some sort of nitrus to knock you out.

get it extracted