DS: Veterinarians Against Holistic/Home-Prepared/Raw Diets?

I was doing some research on home prepared and raw diets for dogs today, and came across this article written by a showing/breeding veterinarian. She is 100% against any sort of raw/BARF/home cooked/holistic diet. In fact, she takes great pains to paint Purina and Eukanuba out to be the gods of the pet food... show more I was doing some research on home prepared and raw diets for dogs today, and came across this article written by a showing/breeding veterinarian. She is 100% against any sort of raw/BARF/home cooked/holistic diet. In fact, she takes great pains to paint Purina and Eukanuba out to be the gods of the pet food industry and even makes the erroneous claim that the bigger the company, the higher the standards. Is that why the foods that were involved in the 2007 recall were all produced by the largest pet food manufacturers? Is that why Science Diet nearly killed one of my dogs and I suspect lead to the early demise of one of my others?

I understand many veterinarians have an agenda. They get bonuses for peddling certain brands of dogs foods falsely being labeled "high quality". The one statement I especially took issue with was this one:

"And nearly all of us (Veterinarians) are laughing all the way to the bank after we fix - if possible - the problems caused by some of the alternative diets to the tune of $5,000.00, more or less, per dog."

Seriously, who would take their dog to a veterinarian who laughs at the expense of your pets? What about the overwhelming evidence that supports raw or home prepared diets? Thoughts?

Here is the article:
http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub...
Update: Great responses so far, but I wanted to address TJ's points: "Purina produces their own products, and was NOT involved in that recall !" I didn't claim Purina was involved in the recall. Science Diet was, which two of my dogs had been on. Purina is still a garbage dog food, regardless of... show more Great responses so far, but I wanted to address TJ's points:

"Purina produces their own products, and was NOT involved in that recall !"

I didn't claim Purina was involved in the recall. Science Diet was, which two of my dogs had been on. Purina is still a garbage dog food, regardless of whether or not they're the leading brand.

"THIS ALSO IS NOT TRUE. Vets make the same profit on a bag of dog food as any other dog food outlet, and they are free to stock any product that they choose."

My sister is a veterinary technician and she will openly admit there are two major prescription foods vets are trained in vet school to push on clients. They take a brief class on nutrition and are encouraged to sign a contract with either Royal Canin or Hill's. They get bonuses for selling the foods. Vets shouldn't be in the nutrition business unless they're also licensed nutritionists.

"Look at the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient"

AAFCO standards are a joke.