What is an appropriate age to tell your child that things such as the tooth fairy and Santa Clause aren't real?

My daughter is 8 years old and going into third grade. I remember being that age and knowing that I didn't believe in anything like that, but I don't want to ruin it for her too early. (Mine was spoiled for me at a very early age by an older sibling). I also remember that kids got made fun of in third grades (and later ones) for believing in Santa Clause, tooth fairy, etc.

I was just wondering what ages other parents were letting their child know that those things don't exist.

Favorite Answer

Wait until she starts questioning it and say ing things like, "how does he drive around to world in only one night?" or "how does the fairy get all those teeth? why would anyone want them?" then, just answer honesly, saying hw they aren't real.

I just kind of grew out of it when I was 9 or 10. There was a lot of problems with the teachers at school spoiling it for kids. If she asks you about it be honest. She may not even believe it now, my family still pretends and goes a long with it just because it's fun to think a magical man is giving you gifts, and i'm 16. So if she asks just tell her the truth, otherwise she might just like the idea of mommy and daddy sneaking her money and gifts. Don't ruin it for her just let her believe until she doesn't anymore

Source(s): A kid once

I was 8 when I figured it out.My kids were around that age also. Sometimes I still wish they believed. It seemed more exciting when you have something to believe in. I still give them gifts from Santa. My youngest is 10 and she still gets money from the tooth fairy which she knows is me.I would say let her find out for herself. She will come to you and tell you she knows the truth.

She is ready to know if she asks. My brother is ten and he still believes is Santa, but not in the tooth fairy or the Easter Bunny. When your daughter comes home from school or whatever and asks you if they're real, then you can just tell her. No pressure, and it's different for everyone. But once she knows, tell her not to talk about it at school or with anyone so she doesn't accidentally spoil it for another kid.

personally, i'd wait until she found out from other kids,

but then you have the off-chance that she might say something about santa or the tooth fairy to someone, and they may laugh at her.

Come'on. we all thought' we were hard if we didnt' believe in santa claus around that age didn't we. :)

My daughter is six and knows full well that no fat men climb down our chimney. She figured that out about two years ago. I have never encouraged her to believe in such things, but neither have I discouraged her. Everyone's parenting is different. And every child is different. No one can tell someone when they should/shouldn't do something. One of my step sons was eight when he found out, because of something said at school, and he was very disheartened by the fact, although Kate never really was affected. All kids are different.

I don't know how old my son was, but I remember telling him that as long as he believed in Santa that santa would continue to come. He's 32 so I'm pretty sure he knows now. lol

In a day and age when we know that evil people such as child molesters do exist and are our friends and neighbors, no age is appropriate to tell children that things like Santa and the Easter Bunny are real.

i never did, i just waited until they figured it out themselves, i say why ruin it, even though my 11 year old knows full well they dont exist, we STILL do certain little things like "santa" fills her and her little brothers stocking on xmas night when they are in bed...little things like that...she may know santa isnt real now, but we still enjoy some of the traditions involved.

i think i told my daughter there was no easter bunny in 3rd grade because we were at an easter egg hunt at her school and the bunny just look so ridiculous i couldn't take it anymore. she wasn't to upset but i let her find out on her own about santa i guess she was 10. i couldn't ever tell her there wasn't a santa it would break both out hearts and take the fun out of everything. so im going to say 10 yrs old.

Its Your Child Every Child Is Made Different And Has A Different Mind Set/ Mentallity Level ; When You Feel Its Time Make The Move

Personally

i Think He Is Ready,, This Christmas Should Be His Time TO Know,.,

8 Yr Olds Know More Than You Think They Know...

Im 8 Years Old