Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog doesn't like going for walks anymore?

I've got a 2 year old Jack Russell. He's a hyperactive dog, always loves running about etc even though he does sleep alot, so I can't say its because hes tired. He used to always love going out for walks, wagging his tail to get his lead on and then off he goes running out the door. Lately he doesn't seem to like going for walks and I don't know why. When we come to get his lead on he just stands there with his tail down and shakes abit and then when we come to get him to the door he gets worse and refuses to go out, he sometimes turns around and walks off. Everytime we used to get his lead he would come running but now he doesn't he just stands there or lies down. He's not scared to go outside because hes always outside, running about. The other day my Dad got his lead on and picked him up and carried him outside across the road and then he went on his walk fine after that I think. I just don't understand why he won't go for a walk in the first place? he can't be tierd because he sleeps alot and he can't be hungry because he eats alot even though hes not fat, sometimes he'll get his dog food or mice or liver from the butchers and the odd treat. There is nothing wrong with him it's only when it comes to going for a walk, so what could be wrong with him there? and how can I get him back to his old self again when it come's to going out for a walk?

Favorite Answer

Doesn't sound like anything physical if once he's out, he's okay. And does he appear normal around the house?

Can you think back to anything that might have upset him as you went through the door - perhaps he got caught by his lead which hurt because this does sound as if something must have happened to him. Dogs do remember things, even something you might have missed, so give it some thought, and see if you can come up with something one of you might have done, not intentionally, just as he was leaving. I think it has to do with his collar, or lead - or even if there was a loud noise outside just as he left, one time. Perhaps a dog barking aggressively?

To be honest, unless there's something you can identify as being sore, I don't think a vet is going to be much help at this point. He'll probably run all kinds of tests, and still come up 'inconclusive' (with a big bill!). Give it some time. Make all his outings trouble free (and if that means carrying him out, for now, do it) and see if he calms down.

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/rn8fI

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

Something might be scaring him.

Do you have stairs at the front of you house where the back of the step is open? A lot of dogs are scared of that.

He could also just be bored. Get all excited - high pitch voice, squeaky toy and everything get him pumped to go.

A terrier should be thrilled to go for walks or even runs!!

It could be that he doesnt seem to be interested in going for walks anymore.

When i walk my dog i brind healthy treats on walks and when hes good i give him one and for the beggining just call his name (once) and say come here and hold out a treat.

It doesnt NEED to be healthy but if you want give him his favorite treat.

It works for my dog but if it doesnt work with any other help (im not saying this works on your dog too) but maybe go to the vet. They help get him back to his old self.

Source(s): My dog trainer and Vet

I'd take your dog to the Vet soon; a dog that doesn't like to go on walks? This sounds serious to me.

• ?

Take him to the vet to find out if he's sick. If that's not the problem, something is scaring him.