are dragons real, or have they died out, or never existed? :o?

they is some "proof" on the existing side, but none on the non-existing side =/ please no blunt yes's or no's. EXPLAIN!

Update:

not really a "dork". i dont play that rpg crap, i just have WAY too many history classes....and i got curious on dragons. the big fire breathing ones, not komoto dragons

Update 2:

not really a "dork". i dont play that rpg crap, i just have WAY too many history classes....and i got curious on dragons. the big fire breathing ones, not komoto dragons

Update 3:

well...they could breathe fire if they breath was flammable and they had a "spark pouch" or sorts...kinda like one a snake has to produce and store venom....

Update 4:

nice long answer! :o

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Dragon history can be summed up as follows: "The dragons of legend are strangely like actual creatures that have lived in the past. They are much like the great reptiles [dinosaurs], which inhabited the earth long before man is supposed to have appeared on earth." (Knox Wilson, "Dragon", The World Book Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, 1973, pg. 265.)

In light of that statement from The World Book Encyclopedia, many people don't realize that paleontology (the study of past geological ages based primarily on the study of fossils) is a relatively new science. In fact, the concept of dinosaurs (giant lizards) only surfaced in its present form less than 180 years ago. Prior to that, anyone who found a large fossilized bone assumed it came from an elephant, dragon or giant. There wasn't any notion of "science" attached to these finds.

~~~~~~~~

The Serpent Theory:

Many people believe that the origination of dragons came from serpents. Rather, they came from snakes and eels that people saw. As time went on and art evolved, these serpents became more and more decorated until they looked more like semi-Chinese dragons or sea serpents.

It is also suggested that people saw mutated eels and snakes or thought that some of their surroundings (i.e. for eels, seaweed, for snakes, sticks) were actually a part of them. Thus making them look as if they were draconic. This actually suggest that dragons were formed out of the misinterpretation of artwork, stories, and sights throughout the ages. Possible? Yes. It isn't as if they had cameras!

The Bones Theory:

This theory pertains to the remains that people found and called "dragon bones" so it definitely holds no water in battle of where the term dragon came from. However, it does provided an interesting idea that people thought the bones of dinosaurs to be dragons, and they though dragons to be descendants (or parents) to such serpents as the snake and lizard. The Bones Theory suggests that people found the bones and created stories about the fierce creatures that once lived within those bones.

Sadly, this theory is lacking when it comes to civilizations as China and other Asian dragons. Due to their unscientific structures, Chinese dragons and Asian dragons could never have originated from seeing bones. On the other hand, one might think that they either adapted the bones to the dragons or they only found some bones. Whichever the case, this theory is not as likely as the Serpent Theory.

~~~~~~~~

I believe dragons are the reflection, sometimes embellished through retelling but mostly historical, of actual physical encounters of human beings with dinosaurs.

I am not at all convinced it has been proven that the dinosaurs became extinct prior to the advent of man. I believe there is much evidence, ancient and modern, to indicate that dinosaurs and humankind existed on earth contemporaneously, and that human beings, while they probably lived in different regions than dinosaurs for the most part, did on many occasions encounter the sometimes huge and fearsome creatures. The memories of these encounters were so vivid and deep that they were passed down in a multitude of cultures as legends, painted on cave walls, represented in pottery, and written of in literature.

I propose that early humanity did encounter dragons, or dinosaurs. This means that humanity did not evolve millions of years after the dinosaurs became extinct, but that the two co-existed. Each piece of evidence by itself may perhaps be explained away, as those who accept evolutionary concepts are prone to do. But the evolutionary model of history which separates humanity and dinosaurs by millions of years leaves too many unanswered questions. How could a people draw pictures of dinosaurs on ancient cave walls, if none were around to serve as models? How is it that so many ancient cultures wrote about dinosaurs (dragons), if they were unknown to early humanity? How do the early literary accounts of dragons end up being so realistic, down to the smallest details?

The evidence for the co-existence of humanity with dinosaurs is overwhelming. I have often heard it said that if evidence can be adduced from a number of different disciplines, it is strong indication to the veracity of a hypothesis. I have seen evidence from archaeology, prehistoric art, ancient literature, legend and mythology, and the Bible. This evidence leads me to the conclusion that human beings shortly after the dispersal from Babel did indeed encounter dinosaurs in the early earth, and that they drew them, wrote of them and passed on tales of them to their children. The dragons of ancient art and literature, I conclude, were in fact dinosaurs.

Source(s): Knox Wilson, "Dragon", The World Book Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, 1973, pg. 265 I wrote a report on dragons in college ;D
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

You would be very interested in the pterosaurs, a group of extinct animals that look a lot like the dragons of legend. After studying them, I think the dragon legends were based on actual sightings of living pterosaurs. I don't care what scientists say about dinosaurs and such being extinct before humans came along-- the evidence doesn't support it. As far as the fire-breathing goes, I don't know. The bombadier beetle currently does a pretty amazing thing, so maybe it's possible. Either that or the stories just got exaggerated over time.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Dragons are fictional, and they occur in many many books and articles. I would say that they don't exist NOW, because obviously you don't see a large winged-creature flying around breathing fire. But I guess it depends on WHAT you classify as a dragon. I mean, many animals can fly, so are they dragons? I suppose it IS possible for them to have existed. I know they can't breathe fire, but perhaps dragons are a figment of our imaginations, built on some real-life form.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Dragons once ruled the earth if that helps.There was a big war between humans and dragons. Deserts are where the battles took place, where the dragons burned everything. But we stupid vile humans lived, the dragons died.

Source(s): The martian cats on neptune told me.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

almost every region of our planet has legends of dragons. That many similar legends must have some basis in truth.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

comodo dragon still alive.

Hey, if they could breath fire, they would die instatntly dont you think, it is common sense dude.

Venom and fire are too differnet things...

• 10 years ago

they are another universal legend found world wide. i believe they are extinct and from the dragonslayer legends and myths i suspect humans sadly are the ones who made them so

• 10 years ago

new jersey devil is like a dragon

• 10 years ago

yeah they do exist, some are just big lizards

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.