Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

What does "86" mean????

Like... "I 86ed that cupcake two hours ago!"

Where does the 86 come into play? Why is it there?

I know what it means but I don't know where it came from.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

There are several theories on the origin of the term. In the bar culture, it is attributed to Article 86 of the New York State Liquor Code. Article 86 specifically outlines the circumstances in which a bar patron should be refused alcohol or removed from the bar. In the restaurant culture, the theory goes back to the Great Depression and the soup kitchens. The legend goes that soup kitchens were limited to 85 patrons at a time so number 86 in line wouldn't receive food ::::::::::::: One of the explanations pertaining to death is the distance of eighty miles out and six feet under meaning when a person who is to be killed by the mafia is forced to dig his own grave many miles away from civilization; or the possibility of a simple variation of the slang term deep six, which has identical meaning, and is simply meant to describe the approximate depth of water (6 fathoms, 11 meters) needed for a burial at sea. The term came into popular use among soldiers and veterans to describe missing soldiers as 86'd. Rather than describe buddies missing in action, it was slang to describe the MIA as being AWOL, therefore violating UCMJ Sub Chapter X Article 86. The public outdoor observatory of the Empire State Building was on the 86th floor; the site of more than 30 suicides. Another origin related to the Empire State Building is the fact that all the elevators stop at the 86th floor. Hence, everyone had to leave. The building opened in 1931, apparently a few years before the term became popular.

Read more: What does the slang term 86'd mean? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/75550#ixzz0vBJpNOI...

Source(s): Answerbag

One of the stories ( the one I've heard) goes that a long time ago there was a bar in New York that had its back entrance on 86th street, and they would expel unruly drunks out there, hence the term 'I 86ed that guy.

• Bilbo

New York speakeasy slang (from 86 Bedford Street) meaning loosely finish up and go or take out, stiop etc - as a result of a warning from cops on the payroll.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=86

What a wonderful question. Religion is, of course, the form that one's worship takes. Thus there are thousands of forms. Religion includes a system of religious beliefs and practices. The object of the religion may be false gods or the true God. Hence, there is false religion and there is true. Religion can get very fancy or remain simple. In the former case, such as it is today. In the latter case, such as it was in the Garden of Eden. What then is worship to me? How do I worship? To worship means to obey. And to obey means to worship. The two are intimately connected; indeed, they are coterminous and cannot be separated. Specifically, to obey the Sovereign Lord God Jehovah of Armies is to worship Him. I do my imperfect best in this regard. I fall on my face and get back up to try and try again. In the Garden of Eden, so long as they obeyed Jehovah, Adam and Eve were worshiping him. No temple, no Mosaic Law, no meetings. Simply leave the tree of the knowledge of good and bad alone. Simple. The minute they disobeyed, they stopped worshiping Jehovah. Same with the nation of Israel. The minute they attempted to practice a syncretistic religion they stopped worshiping Jehovah. The minute they made the golden calf, they stopped. And on and on. To worship is to obey. To obey is to worship. Hannah J Paul

Began in the liquor trade, in reference to article 86 of the New York state liquor code which defines when bar patrons should be refused service. So, a drunk patron that was refused service, was 86'ed from the bar... removed from the bar. It has come to mean "gotten rid of" and like any slang, that terminology has spread around.

end of line

• Talyn

Cop speak for stop, cease and desist