Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What punishment would you get for assassinating the president?

Death penalty? Life imprisonment? Would it depend on the state or would it go straight to a federal court?

If the guy who shot Kennedy hadn't been killed, would they have executed him or what?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That depends on the judge and the jury.

On the morning of September 5, 1975, Fromme went to Sacramento's Capitol Park (reportedly to plead with President Gerald Ford about the plight of the California redwoods) dressed in a nun-like red robe and armed with a Colt M1911A1.45 Colt semi-automatic pistol that she pointed at Ford. The pistol's magazine was loaded with four rounds, but none were in the firing chamber. She was immediately restrained by Larry Buendorf, a Secret Service agent. While being further restrained and handcuffed, Fromme managed to say a few sentences to the on-scene cameras, emphasizing that the gun "didn't go off".[8] Fromme subsequently told The Sacramento Bee that she had deliberately ejected the cartridge in her weapon's chamber before leaving home that morning, and investigators later found a .45 ACP cartridge in her bathroom.[9]

After a lengthy trial in which she refused to cooperate with her own defense, she was convicted of the attempted assassination of the president and received a life sentence under a 1965 law, prompted by the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, which made attempted presidential assassinations a federal crime punishable by a maximum sentence of life in prison. When U.S. Attorney Duane Keyes recommended severe punishment because she was "full of hate and violence," Fromme threw an apple at him, hitting him in the face and knocking off his glasses.[10]

• 9 years ago

Probably life. The death penalty create martyrs.

• 9 years ago

It would be a federal offense and tried in a federal court. I can tell you that Hinckley,who shot Reagan, is still locked up--I believe in mental hospital, and his travel is severely restricted.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

LHO would have probably got the DP. With Obama, you get the Medal of Honor for saving the country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Now it is prison.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you found a Liberal judge probably probation.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I respond to your question with a question:

What are you going to do after I report this question to the FBI? :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.