chelseablue96 asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

why do flys like to fly around the light fittings in our homes?

i noticed with flys they are attracted the the light fittings in our homes, why?

cmon you can do better than thats what flies do? minus 10 for that poor excuse of an answer. i want more informative answers.

i turned off the light and they still fly round and round, a plus point however is i know where they all are when i get the fly killer lol.

Favorite Answer

They like the heat it emits and also it kind of directs them to the surface.. so they are thinking they are headed somewhere by following the light because they use light as a tool for navigation.

Chelseablue96; The short answer is that 'We simply Don't Know', to be perfectly honest! I don't think anyone's ever yet bothered to carry out a proper, scientific study of the phenomenon. Can't understand why not. Lack of available funding, maybe?

Anyway, if I were asked to take an educated stab at it? First thing I'd suggest it the 'obvious' point that warmer air rises. So, they're up there because it's warmer and so they don't have to use up energy to keep warm ~ may seem rather negated by the fact that the idiots then use all that saved energy up by flying round pointlessly! LOL!

Of course, flies flight Isn't pointless. They're doing their own things. Holding territory and hoping a mate will come along. Watch them and ye may notice how they 'bounce off of' nothing, in mid flight? That's their own little bit of space.

So, Ok; We have them up there, because it's warmer. Hanging out like people in a bar. But, Why around the light fitting? Dunno. Maybe it's something to do with imperceptible ~ to us ~ air currents? That'd be my best guess. Maybe, to a flies on board navigational equipment, there's this swirling vortex of air movement around an object such as a light bulb?

Work it out; Air's entering that room from somewhere. Air thus moves. Perhaps it moves in a spiral round the room as it warms and rises? If so, would there not be a still spot at its centre? " Eye of the Hurricane " sort of effect? Be more comfortable for a fly to fly there then, where it wouldn't be getting dragged by the swirling air moving round the rest of the room. And light fittings are normally central on our ceilings. Make sense?

Know what? I reckon I might just have cracked it! Quite impressed myself there! Now I must go and lay down, because my brain hurts! LMAO!

I've no idea but this is one thing I've wanted to know for ages now. Most people answer with something like "they're attracted to the electrical charge" etc, but even without any power going to it - and even if it's been turned off for days or even weeks at a time, they still fly about in a square shape underneath.

Random.

Flies are attracted to light, and even when u turn it off, it still has heat and they are attracted to that to, so light and heat = light buble = flies

as the light is bright like the moon that is wa they mistake it for like moths

So they can see what is going on, lol.

i think...just taking a guess here....that the flies....like artificial light??????????????????

because that's what flies do

You must have smelly lights.