Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Will I ever become an author?

I've always dreamed about becoming a fantasy writer because I've always loved fantasy and reading and writing about it. But my dad keeps telling me I won't become a professional author because it's so hard. In fact he makes it seem like it's impossible. He said I can only write as a hobby never as a profession even though it's always been my dream.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    YOU CAN. Don't listen to your father. Every author, before they became authors, DID write as a hobby. As they continued on, they realized how amazing it was to be a writer, so eventually, they're hobbies became talents, and the succeeded to being professional authors. You have a great dream. Don't let it go just because you're dad says so. Parents usually do that, wanting their children to be something else better (or so they think). I say you continue being your writing.

    For a better practice, why don't you submit some of your writing to http://www.fictionpress.com/ or http://fanfiction.com/ or even post them in you're own LiveJournal? You will start getting feedback to improve it.

    So remember, don't give up on your dream. Good luck!

  • Joss
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Honey, your father is right about one thing. It is heIIa hard to get published. It has a 98% rejection rate, so that says everything. You need to be at the top of the cream of the crop if you ever want a chance. If you're one of the lucky 2% that makes it then good for you, but don't count it. Never count on being the exception, because you're more likely to fall into the rule. The only thing you can do is try, but don't get your hopes up so high that you're discouraged when all the rejections come in. Most published authors had to write several practice novels before they finally get published. You might not be published now, but if you really have the skill for it and your writing is on a professional level then you very well can be published when you're much older, but it doesn't come without lots of reading, writing, and studying the craft. No one becomes a success overnight, not even the most famous authors like Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer were overnight success - they put in a lot of hard work to get to the level of fame and fortune they're at, and most authors will never experience it.

    And, it's great that it's always been your dream, but having a life-long dream does not a published author make. You have to put in hard work and have the skill for it; not a dream. GL.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If I was your father I wouldnt tell you you won't become one as thats a little harsh. Just have a little faith. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and try hard. It may be difficult to become an author but you shouldn't just give up because of what someone else says,YOU decide not everyone else and if you want to be an author some day...GO FOR IT!

    "If at first you don't succeed,try,try again"

    Never give up on something that you really enjoy.

    J.K Rowling(author of Harry Potter) got rejected from publishers many times and she never gave up

    So write a book and once it's been edited try to find a publisher to send it to.

    Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    it rather is relatively confusing to alter into an author - yet some human beings do make it, and there is not any reason you does no longer be one in each and every of them, at some point. And the greater durable you artwork and the greater you study approximately writing, the greater you may develop your opportunities. bear in mind, too, that maximum printed authors do different issues besides as writing - very few authors make sufficient funds from writing to proceed to exist. yet whether you have been a revealed author alongside yet another profession (extraordinarily one that used your writing skills, like journalism, promotion, copywriting or media family members), you may nevertheless be an author and coach your loved ones incorrect. :-) i'm guessing that they only elect you to be sensible and be sure you have a returned-up profession plan - and that's clever. in spite of the shown fact that it does no longer propose you will in no way make it as author. I desire you each and every and each achievement.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joline
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    In this world, you have a good chance to become what you think you are. No other opinions should count when you chart your course in life. Your father is correct: Only one out of a hundred books get published and only one out of ten that get published can earn you a living. He says those things because he loves you and is trying to save you from pain. Joseph Campbell said, " Follow your bliss." Good advice. They told Thomas Edison "Electricity will never make a light bulb." They were wrong.....Good luck.....your life, your adventure.....

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    It is very, very difficult to get published but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. If it's in your heart you should write the best darned story you can possibly write and who knows what will happen? Concentrate on the doing, not the aftermath. Worry about it when you have something substantial to try to publish. Good luck!

  • 1 decade ago

    You should try writing a story in your spare time and see how it goes. You would be surprised how one idea can lead you into a whole world in your mind.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.