community college vs. University?

I am debating weather i should go to community college or University to take my core classes.

After two years I plan on going to University California Berkley.

I do good in school and that is why I am debating it. would it be better if i go to a community college of if i just go to University.

I can get scholarships, a couple of them, like the local government scholarship which is worth $10,000, a scholarship from my dads job and other i plan on applying for.

I guess my main question is if i go to a community college will i be able to transfer to Berkley in two years?

Best Answer

Berkeley is an excellent university and therefore is quite selective. To maximize your chances step up your extra-curriculars if possible and do very well in the Honors Program at your community college and you should be fine. Good luck!

I would really do all that you can to go to university. Especially if you're a diligent hard-working student who will want to take part in extra-curricular's, or learning opportunities outside of the classroom. If you're really strapped for cash then go to a CC and make the most out of it. You will NOT, however, have the same amount of opportunities at a CC.

I suppose it also depends on the community college somewhat. I am currently enrolled in a small (I think about 3,000 students?) CC in a small town, and I am having a really hard time finding ANY EC's that relate to my intended major ( Ecology and Evolutionary Biology). No student organizations, no chances to work in a lab, and a program that is all around lacking if you're not a nursing student.

If the community college you're looking at is better than this, and you'll come out of it feeling like you haven't missed out on anything then go for it! But just remember that it IS true in most cases that CC A's are easier to get- and Berkley knows that too.

Source(s): I'm currently enrolled in a community college.
  • Wolf

Community college= Much cheaper and easier classes easy A's

University= Expensive but fun as hell

If you have the money to go straight to a University i would but if not then attend Community college first.

Hi KC,

Provided you have the minimum GPA to transfer to Berkley and you meet their other transfer requirements then you should be able to transfer. My personal feeling is, if you can attend university without first going to community college then do not waste your time at community college.

• Just go to Berkley right away the transition will be easy and will be more comfortable with the campus

First, I would like to know if you have been ADMITTED by UC Berkeley? ( I am asking this because it is extremely hard to get into berkeley straight out of HS). If tuition isn't a problem, then go straight to berkeley.

Yes you can transfer to many UC's including Berkeley ( my uncle did it. He transferred to Berkeley)

hi, i obviously dont know you, but your plan is the same as everyones at a JC. truth be told, most people never graduate from the JC.

but it is definitely possibe, just keep your goal in your head at all times

you can, but going to a university would further increase your chances into getting into berkley.