Bella
Bella asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

What do you think of the name Jesus?

Pronounced he-SOOS. There's this guy from the Spanish football team named Jesus Navas: http://www.revistasurrealista.es/manager/ediciones... and I'm starting to like the name.

No need to be sacarstic, Emilee. As weird as this sounds to you, Jesus is a given name in Spanish-speaking countries. Joshua is another version of the name and it's commonly used.

• Pip
    Favorite Answer

I think it's a good Spanish name, and I quite like it.

I would pronounce it more like /hay zeus/ though, possibly that's just due to my British accent.

Madonna's Brazillian boyfriend is called Jesus I think.

It's also a name used by the Portuguese and where I live there is a Portuguese community and Jesus is a common name among them, both as a first name and also a common surname too.

When Jesus Christ was born he was in fact given a very common name, it's nothing special in that sense. Maybe for non Spanish boy it might not work so well as a name as people would pronounce it like /jeezus/, however, if for a boy of Spanish/Portuguese decent where it would be said correctly it works well.

:-)

• I like Jesus Navas and those damn eyes he has lol....but I dont really like the name.

• .

Dislike. Too much like jeez-iss....and I'm sorry but if someone called someone pronounced he-soos that, I'd burst out laughing :/

I think it's too bold. To me, there's only one Jesus, pronounced differently or not. Sorry, :(

• Paige

it's alright,

i'm just not a big fan of Spanish names,

but it's not bad

I prefer Judas, no overinflated expectations.

it is the name of god there is only one jesus

I don't really like it.

I LIKE it!

hey wait, i heard that name before. isn't the name of, oh yeah, isn't it God's only son?