Boss threatening to fire me....cuz i'm pregnant?!?

Ever since I told my boss I'm pregnant, Shes been treating me even worse. She's told me if things don't change, I'll be gone.

What doesn't change? Well one did I was NOT feeling good at all with morning sickness and had "i don't know" feeling. I wasn't the happiest at that point. That was after she found out I was pregnant. So shes taking that and saying I have an attitude problem....

She used to tell me how I was the "best" employee she had and now threaten to fire me! so I'm just wondering if anyone has been in this situation? Am I protect cuz i'm pregnant? should I ask my doctor for a note saying I'm under his care?

Thanks!

oh and when i told her i was expecting she goes "oh ok"

When others have told her she goes crazy excited and hugs them.

I got no excitment and no congrats :(

I have missed zero days since I found out I was pregnant. I have missed days, had swine flu early in year. I just had a bad day. My coworker agrees that i've been fine, just that moment wasn't good. there is no HR.

Best Answer

If you work for an "employment at will" state she doesn't have to have a reason to fire you

While its illegal to fire you for being pregnant if your missing too many days due to being sick then she could claim that you weren't doing your job as described

She could also terminate you due to your attitude - be sure to not let your attitude get to her

Its a fine line

Oddly enough, if your boss really likes you, sometimes he/she will get really weird with things like this. They don't want to lose you. If she once said you were the best employee, then maybe she's nervous you won't return after the baby. Maybe she's seeing you not as committed since you're pregnant and that makes her nervous. I tried to quit a job once where they really liked me and they fought with me over me leaving and started treating me really bad. I know pregnancy is different, but she may be feeling that way. Although it doesn't make sense why she'd fire you, there may be something going on with her anxiety level. Have you asked her what you can do to improve? Just ask her and see what she says.

Pregnancy is considered a medical condition and you are therefore a protected class. She can not fire you for being pregnant. Well, she can if she wanted a wrongful termination lawsuit against her. If you are somewhat comfortable asking, I would ask why she reacted so negatively about your pregnancy.

Also, look into pregnancy diability. I dont know how big your employer is or what state you are in, but if you have a doctor's note stating so, there is nothing she can do.

it is 100% illegal for your boss to fire you for anything related to your pregnancy. if i were you i would call the labor board and find out your rights and what would happen if he does fire you. just so you are clear on your rights. and you can kind of nicely hint towards the fact that if he does fire you, it can mean a lot of legal issues the next time he threatens it. also, make sure that you don't give him any other reasons to fire you. try extra hard to be the 'best employee'. that way he can't claim that your firing has nothing to do with the pregnancy.

She can fire you if that location has less than 50 employees and you take maternity leave. I know it sucks, but the law says that's ok.

I would talk to a lawyer because if you're doing the same job just as well as before you got pregnant, she can not fire you unless you take time off.

Legally she can not fire you for the reason that you are pregnant. But when they want to get rid of someone, they put other excuses so that they are not trapped. You can go and talk to the HR dept of the company and tell them you are not treated well. They can definately help you out.

It really depends on where you live. Of course she can't fire you just because you're pregnant (well she could but you could sue her) but you would have to prove that she had no other reason to fire you. being pregnant doesn't make you immune from getting fired either.

As far as I'm aware she isn't allowed to sack you because you're pregnant. If she does sack you then you should seek legal help because from what I know of it's against the law.

Good Luck with the baby :)

well its illegal for her to fire you due to pregnancy, maybe you should talk to an HR rep at your work.

if you are slacking on the job and she finds some other reason to fire you theres not much you can do about that....but i would talk to HR if i was you

• Sandy

I'm pretty sure that's illegal for her to fire you for being pregnant. try to stay on top of things at work and do your very best.