Evan asked in Social SciencePsychology · 10 years ago

How will a therapist act if I tell them about my suicidal thoughts?

I have decided to go see a therapist tomorrow about some problems I have. I am scared to tell them that I have been having suicidal thoughts for a while. Sometimes they get pretty bad, but I have never acted on them. I have thought about how I will do it and where I would do it, and I think about it quite often.

Should I tell the therapist? If I should, do I just come out and say it or wait and see if they ask me? Also, how will they react, I'm not going to tell them if I end up in the hospital or if they tell my family?

I am 19 years old and I am male.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

U must tell them, They r profesionals & dont share it with any 1.

Source(s): I have been 2 psyco-threpist
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Connie
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Your therapist will not be shocked by what you say. Many people have suicidal thoughts. The therapist will try to evaluate with you how likely you are to act on the thoughts you are having now. If you don't seem likely to actually attempt suicide, the therapist will probably do nothing other than talk to you about the thoughts, in the context of the other problems you are experiencing. If you are likely to take action imminently, the therapist will send you for evaluation and possible admission to a psychiatric facility to keep you safe until medication and treatment can begin to have an effect. in this case, imminent means imminent: you have the razor in your hand, the supply of pills and the glass of water and so on. The therapist cannot tell your family without your permission.

I suggest that you tell the therapist about your thoughts early on in the session. Just be honest. You really have very little to fear.

Source(s): Thirty years as a therapist
  • 4 years ago

Im so sorry you are feeling that way. Tell your therapist, I would assume that even a thought given your history could prompt them to send you back. I know you may not like the thought but they are there to help you. I understand why you may not like spending time at the facility but its better to give them a few weeks than to lose your life. I was in an institution for five and a half months. Honestly I didnt love it but looking back that was five years ago and now im doing great. It may seem like a long time now but think how many years you still have ahead of you to live. Id gladly go back for five months to know that it would improve my chances of getting better.

• 10 years ago

Trust me, your therapist has heard this before. It will be nothing new to him / her. It's part of their job. I went through the same thing and was really nervous about talking to my therapist about a certain thing, and when I mentioned it, she wasn't phased. Why? Because she had heard it so many times. In fact, she knew what I was going to say and she knew exactly what to do about it.

Don't be nervous and definitely tell him / her about your thoughts. That is the point in going there, right?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Say whatever you want. Usually if your having suicidal thoughts for no reason, you need help. But if your having a tough time, they will understand your just going through a rough patch and once its over, the thoughts will be gone too. Talk about anything your comfortable talking about, these people are professionals.

• 10 years ago

they wont lock you up or take you away first of all

they just ask your baseline history and why you feel the way you do

make sure you are honset

you are an adult so they have to make it confindential

that law starts when youre 13 in some places

their job is to help you not judge

its good that you havent acted on anything because that means you do want to live

its not going to be bad at all

its good your getting help because suicide is never the answer

good luck and be honest honest and did i mention honest

Source(s): been in therapy since age 12 for same issuses
  • 10 years ago

You're over 18, they won't tell your family...legally, they can't.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

yes tell them and they will be able to help you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.