is a 2007 Volkswagen jetta 2.5 a good car?

I found a 2007 VW Jetta with 50,000 miles on it. I have never owned a VW...are they good cars?

Best Answer

The generation of VW that you are talking about is a decent car; its reliability is much improved over the previous generation (99-2004) in nearly every area. The engine, the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder, is one rough running motor, but, still, its been reliable enough. The automtatic transmission one area that has been a majour trouble spot of VW since 1975, has been replaced with a automatic transmission from a different supplier and has proven reliable enough.

My main issue has been the 2.5 motor is not a smooth or economical motor to run, but other than that it hasn;t been bad. The Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda 3 are, at least in my humble opinion, better rounded vehicles, (with lower operating costs and/or improved handling/ride) but this Jetta is a good overall vehicle. It and the 2.5 Golf are the most reliable VW's currently available.

Just make sure you have a good independent VW specialist or dealership nearby for service. VW does require someone who understands the vehicle to keep in running reliably and cheaply. If you don't have a good dealership or independent service tech nearby, I'd then suggest taking a pass. Hondas, Toyota and even the Mazda have more independents and/or dealerships than VW.

Source(s): spent many of the last twenty-five years+ in Volkswagen dealership service; 35+ years in automotive service

Don't do it, at least take it to a dealership to get checked out.

• Earl

NO! VW's are problems on wheels and expensive to fix. Please do not buy a VW.

Source(s): Worked for a vw dealership. Left there to start a business with a friend.