if superstition is a belief in things you don't understand doesn't that constitute a definition of religions ?

Favorite Answer

By that definition, "women" are a superstition.

That's not to say that there aren't a lot of nutty superstitious religious freaks out there, but I think you need a better definition.

Superstition = a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.

True Religion = Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves (cf. Ex 33:18; Ps 27:8-9; 63:2-3; Jn 14:8; 1 Jn 3:2).

Source(s): Encyclical letter of Pope John Paul II FIDES ET RATIO (Faith and Reason)

Sure, also many other things, like the multiverse theory, the string theory, the theory of gravity, the theory of evolution, and the Big Bang Theory.

If you're an atheist, I'm pretty sure what you meant to say was that superstition is a belief in things that are not based on fact.

Source(s): non-religious, spiritual Christian
  • love

Superstition and religion? Any thing contrary to the word of God are things men do not understand

Source(s): Definitions come from men. God's word is truth,Jesus defined it in his word. In the beginning.

su·per·sti·tion [spər stísh'n]

(plural su·per·sti·tions)

noun

1. irrational belief: an irrational, but usually deep-seated belief in the magical effects of a specific action or ritual, especially in the likelihood that good or bad luck will result from performing it

2. irrational beliefs: irrational and often quasi-religious belief in and reverence for the magical effects of some actions and rituals or the magical powers of some objects

Microsoft® Encarta® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Yes.

Superstition is belief in things that don't exist.

We don't understand, that's true. I for one don't understand Jesus' mercy and love. Why did he love us enough to willing suffer on a splintered, painful cross, just so that WE sinners could be redeemed. And I don't understand God's power, rising from the Grave on the third day, and ascending back to paradise.

I do not understand how God loves me- a porn addict. But HE does, as show by the fact that he sent his only begotten son to die for me. I don't understand God's Grace, but I know that it works within me, as I have accepted Jesus as my personal Savior and LORD. I know it will let me overcome my addiction to porn, and slowly but surely rebuild me in Jesus' perfect likeness, I just don't know how.

But the key word is --will.

Source(s): www.photosforsouls.com to understand how God has shown his mercy. And go to the Bible epistles of Titus and James to see what Grace does Within someone who is ALREADY saved by Faith

not exactly.superstition is the misunderstanding of belief in why things happen. religion can be the misinterpretation of what was said, to gain control. (don't confuse christ, with groups that say they worship him )

Superstition is based on fear of the unknown.

or Abiogenesis or Panspermia or evolution or the Big Bang or perhaps even gravity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/science/13gravit...

Dr. Erik Verlinde says, “For me gravity doesn’t exist.”