Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

How is Songs of the South by Disney racist?

It's the ride that Splash Mountain is based on. I live in America so it wasn't released here so I've never seen it. I can't find any information on why it's racist, only it was never released in America because it is racist.

Favorite Answer

It was released in America. The correct tile is Song of the South. I saw it as a child at the movie theater. The songs were very popular. The racism that I noted was that there was a little boy in the story whose family was what used to be called white trash; underclass white people who were worse off economically than poor and slave blacks and who were filled with resentment toward anyone of any race who had the will and determination to improve his own situation. This little boy was very hateful toward the main character, a rich little white boy whose parents were breaking up, and the rich little boy's best friend, an old black slave known as Uncle Remus. The racist is the poor boy. In the end they all learn great life lessons from Uncle Remus through the tales that Uncle Remus tells about a trickster character called Brer Rabbit and his trials with his enemies Brer Fox and Brer Bear.

Possibly the reason Americans decided this movie is racist is because it portrays blacks in antebellum Georgia as slaves. Well unfortunately they were slaves, but it also portrays the blacks as fine human beings.

This movie is based on stories compiled by Joel Chandler Harris who as a child in Georgia knew the real Uncle Remus and as an adult wrote down the stories that he told. If you can find these books they are great reading.

edit:Oh. No it's NOT racist. Someone said that it's racist because Bill Cosby said so and that he bought the rights to keep it off the screen. If this is true Cosby disappoints me. The blacks, especially Uncle Remus, in the movie are the more intelligent characters when it comes to interpersonal relationships and in my opinion show greater charcter and intelligence than any character on Fat Albert or the Cosby Show.

Disney Song Of The South

Song Of The South Racist

• Natal

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): songs south disney racist: https://shorturl.im/VQDEi

I saw Song of the South in theaters in 2 separate theatrical runs before it was swept under the rug. I remember it fondly from my youth, and as such I have followed this debate rather closely. I've come up with several conclusions that support the notion that the movie is not, in fact, racist. But there's many that believe it is, and with a number of factors leading to their "conclusion". For example, there are a lot of people out there who believe the term "*****" is offensive in any form. These people would suggest that any use of the term is offensive regardless of how or why the term is used, despite the fact that once upon a time the word was common, widespread, and accepted enough that even today the term is being brought back. The 2010 census even included the distinction right alongside black and African American, as they found there are still quite a few older people who prefer to identify with that particular term. Regardless, however, there are still quite a few who take offense to the term, and that remains one factor that leads people to think the movie is "racist".

Another factor is the erroneous notion that the movie took place during slavery. Just watching Uncle Remus calmly leave his home for Atlanta refutes that notion, but there's still a popular opinion that the movie is an attempt to "whitewash" slavery as a kind and gentle practice.

The movie does perpetuate several racially based stereotypes, but they're ideals that were never really considered to be racist in the past. For example, the ***** spirituals used in the film were pointed to as typecasting of blacks of the time. However, to suggest that this was stereotypical would also suggest that the notion of ***** spirituals is somehow racist. This notion has never even been suggested, as ***** spirituals have been accepted as a fond part of America's past, and the backbone of current American practices (such as gospel music).

• Larry6 years agoReport

and to further prove that first point, and add a little hilarity to this discussion, apparently the spanish word for the color black is so offensive yahoo turns it into stars.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): songs south disney racist: https://tr.im/JWvaa

This is what I saw after recently seeing the movie.

-It is set AFTER the Civil War. Late in the movie, Uncle Remus was going to movie to Atlanta, making him NOT a slave.

-The title could be racist being Song of the SOUTH, but I don t think so.

-The only racist part is pretty much the tar baby. Other than that the movie is pretty clean.

Nothing is wrong with the movie. I find it to be a great story about a boy and his black elder friend. It's actually the complete opposite of racist. It takes place right after the slaves were freed so people can't say that it downplays slavery.

It was released back in 1946. It is told by an African American point of view, and some of the characters are not bright. Maybe that is why it is considered racist because it shows African American southerners in a stereotypical manner for that time period.

The man in the movie is a slave I believe, something like that, I can't find anything on it either and I want to know about it.