my 9 y ears old son with autism is communicating through writing.how do i teach him phonics?

i want to know about high functional autism.

• Polly
    Favorite Answer

My daughter has HFA (Aspergers). She started reading quite young and but only read whole words and had no phonics skills. I tried a number of phonics programs before discovering Starfall http://www.starfall.com/ (a free internet based program). I have found this to be an excellent program for my daughter; it's simple to use, keeps her attention and her phonics skills are improving quickly. If you look around on the site there are also numerous printouts for further practice.

He probably hasn't consciously waken up. What I mean is, he's aware, but he's not living in the moment. He's not in control of what's going on. Wait until he's like in 5th grade, then he'll wake up and he'll be more in control of himself. He's still gonna be behind in his social skills and that'll take some time to develop. Just treat him like a normal kid at that point and encourage him to express himself and don't laugh when he makes silly mistakes, which he will do. Just let him express himself and discover the world and it should be good.

Try paired reading. It really helped my cousin who has autism. Start with easy books of course. :)