Colonization efforts of Spain, France, and England?

I am studying for a US History midterm (summer class) and am answering six practice essay questions. I am having trouble with the following:

2. Compare and contrast the colonization efforts of Spain, France, and England. (Consider elements such as motivations, explorations, Indian encounters and policies, colonial institutions and policies, etc.) Evaluate the successes, limitations, and legacies of each.

4. Four million people lived in America in 1790. Compare and contrast the ethnic, religious, and political characteristics of each region and their significance to the emergence of the new nation. Include in your answer the influences of Native and European nations on each of the regions.

Any help you can offer would be great. I hate posting homework questions, but I have been working very hard and could use a boost. Thanks!