? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Who Or What Is Kevorkian?

I've heard about it a lot.... Or him... Is he/it religious? If so, I wouldn't know.. I don't have one.. Can someone tell me who or what he/it is?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Dr. Jack Kevorkian gained the nickname "Dr. Death" by acting as an assistant in their suicides. He never assisted someone who was merely depressed or who metaphysically hated existence or who wanted to "see the other side". He only helped people who were so terminally ill they sometimes couldn't lift their own heads, couldn't keep foods down, were drugged to insensibility by pain killers, or who were terminal and had no prospect of living.

He's from Michigan, and so is his former attorney, both who became "darlings" of the right-to-die rationality. That gave his attorney the political base to run for Governor (he lost.) But in Kevorkian's home county his cause was so politically popular that the Oakland County Prosecutor lost his elected job for trying to prosecute Kevorkian.

He helped people in other states commit suicide, including Oregon which now has one of the few laws allowing assisted suicide. But his home state still won't allow it.

Wikipedia makes the mistake of using the word "euthanasia", which historically and traditionally has always meant this, also from Wikipedia: "According to the House of Lords Select Committee on Medical Ethics, the precise definition of euthanasia is "a deliberate intervention undertaken with the express intention of ending a life, to relieve intractable suffering."[1]

But what is missing from that is that it also means done without the patient's permission. You put a dog down with euthanasia when it can't be helped. Shooting a deer hit by a car is euthanasia. Assisted suicide is NOT euthanasia SPECIFICALLY because it is the patient who has full knowledge of what is going on, signs papers releasing the doctor or other person from legal responsibility, and commits suicide. Euthanasia is ALWAYS without the knowledge or permission of the person of the patient.

Beginning in 1999 Kevorkian, after allowing 60 Minutes to air a tape he made of one assisted suicide (he made tapes of all of them, some 130+), served eight years of a 10-to-25-year prison sentence for second-degree murder, in Michigan, being released early for his own medical disability.

• Tim
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Did you try wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kevorkian

Euthanasia is considered by some to be a religious issue. He is a doctor who created a euthanasia device - basically a portable machine that allowed terminally ill patients with chronic pain to kill themselves. Using it he assisted the deaths of over a 100 people in the 90's. He spent a few years in prison. His name is now emblematic of an evil/crazy doctor who kills people, although some consider him a right-to-die activist who never hurt anybody, just allowed people to choose their own deaths.

EDIT - Whether these deaths were suicide, physician-assisted suicide, euthanasia, voluntary euthanasia, or a type of murder is a matter for ethical debate. He was convicted of Second-Degree Murder. Is somebody in those conditions competent to make such a decision? Does a doctor, who has taken the Hippocratic Oath and is trusted by the patient, have a right to make such a suggestion? The Wikipedia article actually gives reasonably fair portrayals of all sides of the argument.

• HD
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I did want to add that to me Justice would have been better served if all the jurors had been terminally ill.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.