Did the Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth come from a story?

I was watching the movie today and began to wonder. The faun has a back ground through greek mythology...even if he's not Pan. the little girl being a princess and running away is a familiar tale from somewhere i just cant place it. anyway...the pale man seems symbolic yes, but did the idea for him come from... show more I was watching the movie today and began to wonder. The faun has a back ground through greek mythology...even if he's not Pan. the little girl being a princess and running away is a familiar tale from somewhere i just cant place it. anyway...the pale man seems symbolic yes, but did the idea for him come from anywhere? He's like the russian wich Babiaga who ate children who she lured away, and the wich in hansel and gretel who showed a feast of candy to starving children. And the rule was do not eat while you're there or you may not return. this direction sounds like entering the underworld in greek mythology. if you eat anything while in hell you must stay, dead or not. but jus like persephone who was also much like a princess ofelia escapes after eating. and the eyes i have definatly seen in a book somewhere...a creature that either had eyes in its hands or painted on them that gave it power to see.it also reminds me of Ammit the egyptian monster who would eat you if your heart was heavier than the feather of Ma'at the goddess of justice he your heart would be heavy due to the weight of your sins or not following what you were supposed to do in life .He might be entirly symbolic and made up...representing temptation or how blind the world above was, or how blindly she followed the faun, or how the sun blinded her. he was temptation, "heres all this food but you cant eat it, if you do i eat you" and i wonder what would have happened had she chose the wrong door for the dagger. so if anyone can help me i would be eternaly grateful. I just wana know did the pale man come from some sort of folklore cause i wana believe he did. Thanx for any help
C-Dice
Update: where did u find this story
7 answers 7