Did the Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth come from a story?

I was watching the movie today and began to wonder. The faun has a back ground through greek mythology...even if he's not Pan. the little girl being a princess and running away is a familiar tale from somewhere i just cant place it. anyway...the pale man seems symbolic yes, but did the idea for him come from anywhere? He's like the russian wich Babiaga who ate children who she lured away, and the wich in hansel and gretel who showed a feast of candy to starving children. And the rule was do not eat while you're there or you may not return. this direction sounds like entering the underworld in greek mythology. if you eat anything while in hell you must stay, dead or not. but jus like persephone who was also much like a princess ofelia escapes after eating. and the eyes i have definatly seen in a book somewhere...a creature that either had eyes in its hands or painted on them that gave it power to see.it also reminds me of Ammit the egyptian monster who would eat you if your heart was heavier than the feather of Ma'at the goddess of justice he your heart would be heavy due to the weight of your sins or not following what you were supposed to do in life .He might be entirly symbolic and made up...representing temptation or how blind the world above was, or how blindly she followed the faun, or how the sun blinded her. he was temptation, "heres all this food but you cant eat it, if you do i eat you" and i wonder what would have happened had she chose the wrong door for the dagger. so if anyone can help me i would be eternaly grateful. I just wana know did the pale man come from some sort of folklore cause i wana believe he did. Thanx for any help

C-Dice

where did u find this story

Favorite Answer

I don't think that he does. I think he was inspired by an amalgom of the mythology and symbolism you describe. Del Toro is a master of creating monsters that feed on symbolism and images that terrify and disturb the human mind. The creatures he creates often are based on stories, but even then, he goes in a completely unique direction with them... think of some of the beasts from Hell Boy... the Tooth Fairy indeed!!!

You've already done a pretty masterful job of dissecting the symbolism and inspiration he probably used, so I'll leave it there...

-Scarlet

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I was watching the movie today and began to wonder. The faun has a back ground through greek mythology...even if he's not Pan. the little girl being a princess and running away is a familiar tale from somewhere i just cant place it. anyway...the pale man seems symbolic yes, but did the idea for...

Source(s): pale man pan 39 labyrinth story: https://tr.im/fHi7V

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avAQE

Pan's Labyrinth.The movie contains a great amount of metaphors and archetypal symbols telling another story it's as if Guillermo Del Toro intended the fantasy scenes as allegorical commentary on the Civil War. Which makes sense since Ofelia is going through this massive change and probably seen the brutalities of war that she makes up an imaginary world to deal with this. From the very beginning the symbolism/metaphoric storytelling technique has begun (Ofelia finds the missing eye and places it back into its socket. The "eye" might signify that things can be invisible and visible, a stark contrast to Captain Vidal puncturing a man's eye in one scene who doesn't believe in things that can be physically be seen. Also in ancient Egypt with the myth of Horus’ eye being restored by Toth. The importance of 'The Eye' isn't "an alien" idea.) These kinds of things can be found from beginning to end. Right to the part *spoiler* when Ofelia’s dying body has blood dripping from it onto the stones of the Labyrinth. The tree that looks like a womb, the frog that signifies gluttony and greed. Everything, BA: Definitely in my 'Top 10' My all-time favourite movies change a lot but the movies that stay consistently in my 10 favourites tend to be Return of the King, Pan's Labyrinth, Hunger. Right now Pan's would be ranked 6th. BA2: My gosh! There's so many! But the Pale Man chasing Ofelia and when she's trying to get the key has got to be one of my absolute favourites. BA3: I try not to watch my favourite movies a lot or it get's "ruined" and I get sick of it, but the Lord of the Rings Trilogy I've probably seen once or twice a year ever since their release... EDIT: N'aww shucks Umar! Thanks! I have to say I would've never known the meaning of "allegories" or "juxtaposing" let alone how to use it in a sentence, A lot of it is owed to taking English Lit. for my A-Levels, it was drilled in my brain to analyse a bulk of literary texts, compile in-depth character studies-- was a lot of work. Lol and even after all of that I managed to 'scrap by' and get a low B. I never realised how much I still remember till 'once in a blue moon' questions like this come by... Also! Please answer more questions :) I agree, Emma's answers are always a fantastic read.

• contes

The Pale Man

One view point of the story is that everything supernatural in the film is imagined by Ofelia as a coping device. This would link the Pale Man, who destructs the most vulnerable for his own personal gain, to Captain Vidal who seems to be a portrayal of Cronos the Greek god of time and death.

Cronos ate his own children as soon as they were born because of his hunger for power and supremacy. Vidal shot Ofelia, the pale man ate the fawn s fairies.

Arguably both Vidal and the Pale Man are representations of Cronos as they are both strongly linked with the themes of time (The egg-timer and the pocket watch),death (all of Vidal s victims plus the fairies that the Pale Man ate) and general destruction and fear.

It's based othe Japanese "Tenome" from "The Illustrated Night Parade of A Hundred Demons" - http://matthewmeyer.net/blog/2013/10/08/a-yokai-a-...

The Pale Man actually did come from an old story of a blind man who was murdered, and then came back to life and grew eyes out of his hands and since he was unable to see his killers face, he killed everyone he could get his hands on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenome

Tenome: a japanese mythical creature