Why do people say Derrick Rose is a Shoot 1st pass Later PG?

I Have 2 Reasons that say He's Not

1st. His Teams last 2 seasons. No scorers except for him

2nd. in a high school game He shot a couple times and scored 2 Points and Grabbed 8 assist and & Rebounds

So why do people say that?

Update:

The Team won Lol

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Shoot First" isn't a term to describe a selfish player its just a method of categorizing different types of offensive players. Derrick Rose scores more often than he facilitates because that's his role on his team, he's the number one scoring option so naturally that would make him a "Shoot First" point guard. It's also worth mentioning that even as a "Shoot First" point guard he can still lead a team, Michael Jordan proved that scoring leaders can still be leaders and there isn't a shortage of players who agree with that mentality.

Based on the similarties in both players game (Mid-Range to Around the basket scoring) I think its fair to say that Rajon Rondo is basically the "Pass First" version of Derrick Rose, then again Rondo has 3 Hall of Famers on his team to whom he can pass. This is not to say that either player is better than the other at any particular facet but rather what their roles are on their respective teams.

Here's a couple of examples that may give you a better idea of who belongs in each category

Pass First -

Steve Nash

Jason Kidd

Rajon Rondo

Andre Miller

Shoot First -

Chauncey Billups

Brandon Jennings

Mike Bibby

Mo Williams

In fairness the traditional "Pass First" point guard is really scarce these days and this is NOT because players became more selfish but because more and more players are really breaking the mold and creating hybrid versions of both parties.

Examples -

Deron Williams

Chris Paul

When you really look at the intricacies of all of these players you can easily make distinguishable differences between Derrick Rose and Steve Nash or Derrick Rose and Deron Williams, but this isn't to say that Rose won't change now that he has someone like Boozer who he can really depend on to shoulder the scoring. However, as of right now Derrick Rose defines what it means to be a "Shoot First" Point Guard, he scores because his team needs him to score.

I hope this could help you a little bit. I also acknowledge that Derrick Rose is a great player and if he had the supporting cast (Maybe he will this year) then he definitely could be a "Pass First" Point Guard, but right now they need him to score.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Umm theres so many errors in your writing.

First of all, your first reason of that theres no scoreres on the team except for him DOESNT...and I repeat DOESNT makes him a pass first PG. THIS IS NOT A PROPER ARGUMENT you are making. It doesnt justifiy that he isnt a shoot first, pass later PG. If more than anything this hurts your case.

Second.....you dont "grab" assists. And that is one game and it was high school. This is the NBA.

• -_-
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

This season he should have a lot of assist with Boozer,Noah,korver.

And a bout 15 points a game.

• Lv 4
    10 years ago

How disappointed were his teammates when he scored only 2 points?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

i don't get it too he is very unselfish

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.