Who to call about a hole in the ground?

Was digging up an overgrown garden and in the middle was metal rods, boulders, and ply wood covering what looks like a giant hole. Does the county assist you in figuring out what it is? For all I know it could just be a huge hole from removing a tree stump but I don't wanna take the chance of falling in if isn't that!

2 Answers

  • The Z
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Sounds like maybe an old mine shaft, or a mining attempt. Try calling the county zoning dept. or maybe 'Blue Stakes" They are responsible for safety when digging and come out to inspect for utility location before you dig. Although you haven't found a gas or water pipe they should still come out to check and may have some insight as to what you have found.

    Let us know what you find.

  • 1 decade ago

    TheZ seems to know what he is talking about. I was thinking about pretending to be senile and ringing the local council or whatever and asking them to come and remove it for you ! LOL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.