Did you know that the site where King Arthur's Round Table once stood has been discovered?

If you typed into Google: King Arthur's Round Table Revealed - you will get all the stuff you need to know about it. Apparently, it is located in Chester, England (I think that's Manchester but the article said Chester). I thought that was real cool though how they actually found it. However, the thing was big enough to fit one thousand people and was not made of wood but stone. Allegedly, the Round Table is/was located in an ancient Roman ampethieter... whatever that means! I was always a firm believer in King Arthur and Merlin and all although I don't think they existed exactly like the Faerie Tales say so. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

What again. ???

Don't believe all you read on the internet.

Chester is the County city of Cheshire situated on the river Dee, it was a major Roman town and is South of Manchester.

The Romans built Amphitheatres all over the Empire and were used as entertainment venues.

I was given to understand that the idea of the Round table was first mentioned in Mort D'Arthur, which makes it 12th/13th Century, six to seven hundred years after Arthur was supposed to have lived.

If the Amphitheatre seated about 1000 it was a comparatively small affair, the Colosseum in Rome seating 50,000 and the Circus Maximus in Rome (Ben Hurr and all the chariot races) could manage an estimated 250,000.

• nosdda

It has been proved by schoars, that the story of King Arthur has been interpretated wrongly in certain parts.Arthur never had a Round table, but he would invite his courtiers to "Sit around his table" such as times of feasting, or meetings etc. merlin was no magician, but a farmers boy who lived in Flintshire, (North Wales). He left home and travelled to Oswestry, and found work as an apprentice to an apothecary. This is where he learnd how to make medicines to cure peop;es ills, but he was so good at getting it right, that he ws appointed to Arthurs Court as his apothecary. That is all, he was no magician. Camelot is reputed to be on a site in south England known as Cadbury hill, where remains of a wooden fort have been found. Stone castles were never built in Britain until the time after the Norman conquest, Again. to pull the sword from the stone as Arthur did relates to the blacksmith casting a sword in a mould known then as a "Stone" and only the person the sword was made for would pull the sword from the "Stone". Then is so much to disprove the myth of Arthur, but I could write for an hour and not get it all in,

The King Arthur of the Round Table,Merlin,and the Holy Grail isn't real.The whole story was a romance written in the late Middle Ages, Le Morte D'Arthur, by Sir Thomas Malory.

The historical Arthur was a Romano-British warlord who won a great battle against the Saxons around 500 AD;that's about all we really know about him with any certainty from the very,very limited primary sources that mention him.

• John P

You sound very confused, if you believe that a certain table has been found, then you are not sure if King Arthur actually existed. I have not heard of the table in Chester (sounds too far north to me for the Arthurian legend), but I do know of the fake in Winchester. I find it hard to believe that a table was made of stone to accomodate a THOUSAND people.

Although King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table are a myth as others have stated, and there is no real Round Table, there is an impressive version of the Round Table hung in the Great Hall in Winchester, in the county of Hampshire in Southern England. This was commissioned by Henry VIII as a symbol of valour, bearing the Tudor Rose, and it is worth going to see if you are ever in that part of the world.

1. Chester and Manchester are entirely different places

2. If you Google "Roman AmphiTHEATRE" you may understand better.

i thought king arthur came from someplace called tintagel, near cornwall, on the west coast..

and if he really existed, why is there nothing about him in the history books..

seems scottish history can go back to before 800..

yer it was next to the holy grail....all the time