Why does everyone brush their teeth BEFORE breakfast?

I brush my teeth after meals and before I go to bed at night. Everyone on TV and in Movies seem to brush their teeth as soon as they wake-up before they have even eaten anything. What is the point? If you brush your teeth before you go to bed I hardly think they are gonna get dirty during the night. If anything the... show more I brush my teeth after meals and before I go to bed at night. Everyone on TV and in Movies seem to brush their teeth as soon as they wake-up before they have even eaten anything. What is the point? If you brush your teeth before you go to bed I hardly think they are gonna get dirty during the night. If anything the saliva will keep them clean and at a safe PH level.

It would be horrible eating your breakfast and drinking your orange juice with that minty toothpaste after-taste getting in the way. I brush my teeth after breakfast, just before I go out.

Do the people who brush as soon as they awaken brush after breakfast as well? Twice in one hour? Or do they go out with bits of chocolate cereal stuck to their gumlines?