How can I make my finger nails grow?

I don't bite my nails but I've always cut my finger nails very short for as long as I remember because I have to keep them short for piano and kungfu so now they're really short. How can I make the pink part of my nails longer again? Should I start fileing down the white part of my nails instead of... show more I don't bite my nails but I've always cut my finger nails very short for as long as I remember because I have to keep them short for piano and kungfu so now they're really short. How can I make the pink part of my nails longer again? Should I start fileing down the white part of my nails instead of cutting them to help the pink part grow longer?

Also when I was about the age of 8 I cracked / split my pinky toenail in half from tripping. Its been over 10 years now and it is still cracked in half / growing out cracked. Is there anyway I can fix this? My pinky toe looks sorta similar to something like this: http://www.dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-swea...