I sprayed a roach and it didn't die. Are they becomming immune to the effects of roach spray?

Well, it wasn't a roach, it was a waterbug. In my state there are these bugs called waterbugs that look like roaches and some people call them roaches, but they are black and have a shinny shell and no wings.

Last night I saw this massive ugly black and shinny adult hunchback waterbug (roach) and I sprayed it with Hot Shot. It kept going and didn't die. So I sprayed it again and it just ran behind the vacuum cleaner. It emerged and I sprayer it again and this time, I held down the button for a long time but it still only ran. I ended up spraying it around 8x and coating it in spray, but it never died. The spray didn't affect it at all. It was indifferent. It just kept walking around like nothing happened. It was indestructible.

I kill waterbugs all the time with spray, but this one didn't react to it at all. Why didn't this roach die when I kill them all the time with roach spray? What could be some reasons? Do you think it is one of the ones that became immune to roach spray?

Favorite Answer

That spray usually takes 24 hours to kick in. its made more for spraying nests and pathways not spraying each bug u see.

• Casey

You probably delivered a lethal dose in the first shot, but there's a reason these creatures have been on earth for as long as they have. Unless your spray was really old, it was almost certainly effective, just not instantaneous.

The old joke is that poor folks have "roaches" while the wealthy have "water bugs". It probably doesn't matter what you are dealing with and even less what you're calling it. Keep your kitchen scrupulously clean, leave no food out, ensure everything is tightly sealed (when I've lived in warm climates I put a lot of things in an additional Ziploc bag). Roach motels and baits can help, too. But the best defense is to eliminate their easy food sources. They may also be developing a resistance to the sprays, but I wouldn't worry about it.

how old is the spray? sometimes the chemical formulation breaks down over time and it will quickly become inert. Is it possible the can was exposed to extreme heat or cold?

if the stuff you were using has out lived its shelf life it no good,some stuff takes a while to work.