Can Atheists or Evolutionists Explain This?

I'm Agnostic before you start insulting me and calling me brainwashed.

I don't really know what I believe, but recently, I have been looking at the sides of all arguments, and I have found stuff on all of them, but science seems to be kicking all their a$$es, and even though I wouldn't call myself and Atheist, I was just wondering what you made of this publication and picture:

http://www.remnantofgod.org/images/JOE-GIANT2.jpg

Favorite Answer

The Mt. Blanco Fossil museum is a creationist organization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Blanco_Fossil_Mus...

And Joe Taylor acknowledges his sculpted this replica based on the description of an unverified find in Turkey.

Moreover, occasionally people are born with a problem in their pituitary gland. This is actually proof of a lack of good design, rather than proof of design. And the occasional unfortunate afflicted with this condition usually doesn't live a long or happy life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

I am an atheist (there is no such thing as an 'evolutionist') I have a background in science and engineering. Like the link says, it is just a sculpture made to order by Joe Taylor. There is no actual evidence to explain here. This is not an actual fossil, it is just a man made artifact (or a religious icon). It is not an accurate representation of a femur from a humanoid biped that was 14-16 feet tall. As an organism becomes progressively larger the bone structure has to be more robust in order to have sufficient structural strength to carry the load. A femur from a real living Giant of that scale would need to be almost twice as thick as the one depicted - or it would shatter under the weight of the body that it was carrying. I suspect that the sculptor merely scaled up a normal human femur, rather than modifying the length to thickness ratio appropriately.

"Many of the Creationists sites include the find of a 47 inch femur from Turkey as proof that human giants did exist.

What was this femur? First of all, no reference is provided, nor is any picture of the find - so it is just an internet rumor at this point. At 47 inches, I'd suspect that it is a fossil elephant femur, if it is a femur at all. Miocene and Pliocene fossils are common in Turkey, including a variety of proboscideans.

Note that in most of the the lists Creationists alwasy cut-and-paste, it does NOT say a "human" femur, it just says "femur". So how did the human get into the mix? Well, it's all Kent Hovind's doing. Hovind uses a model made by Joe Taylor, to fit the report of a 47 inch femur. Here is what I posted on the other Forum the first time this report was mentioned:

***********

This is one of Kent Hovind's (currently langusihing in Federal prison on tax fraud conviction) pet examples. Here is the true story of the "bone":

**********************

During Part 7 of the Seminar Series Hovind points to the bone and says;

"[...] like this thigh bone here over my head which is from a human which would have been nearly 13 feet tall. [...] That would have been a 13 foot human. Well, if only a fragment of that bone was found nobody would believe it came from a human if they believed in evolution."

There is an interesting story behind this bone.

Firstly, it is not a real bone. Hovind acknowledges this in Part 2 of his video series; "thigh bone replica from a giant skeleton". While it is not uncommon for museums to use replicas for preservation and security reasons, this replica is not based upon an artifact. There is no "giant skeleton". There isn't a single bone. There isn't even a bone fragment.

So where did this "bone" come from? The source is the imagination of Joe Taylor of Mt Blanco Museum. Taylor received a letter claiming large skeletons were found during road construction in Turkey. "

It's not femur. It's not even a bone. It's actually a 2:1 scale recreation of a human female's femur, which the "museum" proprietor, based upon a PURPORTED discovery from the 1950's. Suffice it to say, no actual bone ever emerged.

Note, by the way, that a giant that was a 2:1 replica of a human being would not be able to support its own mass walking upright.

This is a rather infamous hoax. The fellow who made it makes a pretty penny selling copies of this "bone" now, I understand.

A little bit of Googling or Binging would answer that. It is a hoax.

The "bone" in the picture is not a bone but a casting. No bone of that size has been documented.

Also a femur from a human that size would not have the same proportions as a normal human. It would have to be much stouter to be effective in supporting the weight and activity of such a large human. The relation between size and mass is not linear. A human amplified in height, breath and width by a factor of two would probably weigh 8 times as much.

Religionists lie all the time to try to prove the bible is literally true.

My first question is what publication was this found in? Other questions follow: what tests were conducted to validate this being a human femur? Can bone structure like that actually support the skeleton of a human being? Where is the rest of the skeleton?

For the record: one can be an atheist and an agnostic at the same time.

• ?

Good and evil are concepts not really relevant to evolution. Evolution doesn't even relate to what is positive and negative for an individual - instead, it deals with what might improve the survivability of the species as a whole. However, one could draw an inference that what is termed 'good' occasionally helps mankind as a whole, while what is 'evil' may hinder it.

Mt Blanco Fossil Museum

One is a joke, and the other is ridiculous.

I'll leave it to you to decide which is which.

Incidentally, did you actually read the article accompanying the photo? It states clearly that the "bone" in the photo is a sculpture made to look like a giant human femur. It is not a casting of an actual bone.

More like an "artist's projection."

Sure. It's a fake.

http://fundiesvatheists.lefora.com/2010/05/31/the-...

Can I give you some advice? Don't "believe" anything. Belief is *worthless.* It requires no evidence, no examination, no criticism, no debate, no verification...nothing. Anybody can believe anything. Since it requires nothing, it can offer nothing.

Decide things by the evidence for/against them instead, then you're working with knowledge, not belief. And if you haven't carefully examined the evidence for/against some claim, then be honest and say "I don't know." Don't make things up to fill in the gaps or your knowledge.

Peace.