Is there a solar powered compact air conditioner I can buy for my car?

I don't have an air conditioner is this car I purchased a few years ago. About four months out of the year, it is really hot! I don't want to spend $3,000 for an AC. Seems like there should be some good technology out there, but have not really found anything worth buying yet. I only found a solar unit that pulls the heat out of the car when it is parked.

Best Answer

No, there is no such thing, yet.

Right now, solar panels (while cool, and eco friendly and all...) are not "great" at generating power. What I mean is, solar panels do create "free" electricity, it's only a little bit of electricity. It doesn't take very much power to run a small fan that sucks hot air out of the car.

But an air conditioner compressor (the thing that cools the air) takes a LOT of power compared to a fan. So you would need a very large (larger than the car) grouping (array) of solar panels to create enough power to run an air conditioner.

You could buy an electric air conditioner, run it off batteries (put 6 or so in the trunk) and charge the batteries with a solar array while the car was parked. Something like 100 hours of sunlight should give you 2 or 3 hours of air conditioning. Of course, the cost would be closer to the $3000 you don't want to spend.

Sorry there's not (yet) a super efficient solar panel available that can turn 5 minutes of sun into enough power to run a car, plus air conditioning all day.

Homemade Solar Power Videos : http://SolarPower.duebq.com/?xRD