Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 10 years ago

HELP! 2 baby birds fell out of nest, no mother? D:?

There's 2 baby birds that are under this tree in my backyard, and they only have a few feathers. One of them is pooping what looks like blood? They're very clot-like. I haven't heard the mother or seen her yet. What should I do?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Autumn
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For most songbirds, there is a good rule of thumb: the rule of the thumb! By that I mean, can the bird sit up on your thumb (or finger) on its own? If it can, then it is a FLEDGLING and should be left alone! Nestling songbirds cannot balance on their own or grip a perch until right at fledging. If the bird can balance ok, then it is SUPPOSED to be out of the nest. It may not look like it, but it is. It will have some feathers over much (but not all) of its body, and the wing and sometimes the head feathers will be sticking out of little tubes (the feather sheathes). It might still have tufts of down on its head or on other parts of the body.

So, if it seems ok, not injured, just unable to fly, and it can perch on its own, you should PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT. Even if the parents weren't right there yelling at you, chances are that they know where the baby was and were doing all they could to take care of it. Don't worry about them abandoning it because you touched it; birds don't do that. (They might, however, abandon nests if you get too close, especially if they have eggs and not nestlings.) Just get it back to where they can find it and where it will be safe. Don't put it in an enclosed area that the parents will be afraid to go into. Get it somewhere it can eventually move off on its own

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

If injured, get the birds to a local wildlife rahab. If not injured see below:

If it is unfeathered...then look for a nest and if you can find it...replace it into the nest. Do not worry about your scent being on the chick..birds have a very poorly developed sense of smell and will NOT reject a baby that has been touched. If you cannot find a nest, get the bird to a local wildlife rehab for it's best chance of survival. Also, keep in mind, it is illegal for you to try and raise this bird on your own. Look for a rehab here:

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wild…

• 10 years ago

Now everybody will say put them back, but honestly they'll die happier with you than out in the wild. The one that's pooping blood will probably die because it should look like regular bird poop. He probably had some internal injuries when he fell. Try giving them water, keep them warm. If you want to try to feed them later, boil an egg throw away the yolk and cut the whites up into tiny tiny pieces and try to feed them like that. They need to be fed every 3 hours I think but you might want to check that. Good Luck!

Source(s): experience
  • 10 years ago

If they're not currently in any danger from cats or other pets, call a vet and ask what to do (they will know who the local wild bird rescue groups are). If it looks like a cat or dog is ready to pounce on them, put them in a shoebox with some soft cloth, put some holes in the lid and then put the lid on. The darkness will keep them from getting too crazed/stressed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Did you find the nest and put them back in? That is where the mom will look for them. but sometimes they dont if they have human scent on them, but when there were birds at my house that fell out of nests the mom came back for it and took care of it. but if one is pooping blood it probably wont make it, but once, i had a bird that pooped a weird color, and i found out later it was probably because it was being fed barries or something, but i had been feeding that one worms, but then my mom found barries to feed it and i think the barries killed the bird.. but either contact some kind of place where they can help, find the nest to see what happens, or make a little nest yourself and feed it something like worms, or just like call someone who knows birds i guess... i was able to put a few different birds back in their nests before. the mom usualy came back for them and took them somewhere safe.

Hope it all works out!

• 10 years ago

Definitely, you need to get in contact with a local vet to see if they can call the nearest animal rehab center for you.

Source(s): Current Breeder of Parakeets / Budgies!!!
  • 10 years ago

if it's pooping blood, it isn't going to make it.

You absolutely need to call a wildlife rehab center.

• 10 years ago

Eat them. Gobble those ******* up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.