Can I become a graphic designer without taking a degree in art?

Are there any diplomas available in order to get into the field? I have always been an avid artist and have good marketing skills/ideas and I think I would make a great graphic designer but I have no qualifications in art and so I'd have to do an art foundation degree and then a graphic design degree which would be a lot. Are there any shorter routes available?

• Best Answer

If you have exceptional skills and creative genius, you can make in- roads in Graphic Design without a degree but may feel at a disadvantage with more qualified colleagues; on a degree course you get the chance to develop and study all kinds of stuff, simply because you've got the time and access to it.

i think the important thing is to keep on learning and expanding, whether you have a degree or not, because graphics is a constantly changing field.

Never think you've reached the stage where you think you know graphics inside out - you never could

I know people whose skills in Apple Mac, Photoshop, Adobe, etc have been outstanding enough to get them noticed but most have studied part- time to get qualifications

• N.L.

What do you mean you don't have any qualifications in art?

You can get a job as a Graphic Designer without a degree, but it won't be easy. Yes, if you are very talented then companies will overlook the lack of a degree. However, look at a lot of job postings today- many of them require at least an Associates Degree in Graphic Design.

You wouldn't need to have 2 degrees though. If you get your Bachelors Degree in Graphic Design, the college you choose will more then likely teach you the foundations of art and design.

If you have good marketing skills that's definitely a good start. Do you know the design programs? Do you have a portfolio put together? Without these things a company simply won't hire you. If you are already knowledgeable about the software and about design fundamentals maybe you can try an internship; it's a good way to get your foot in the door if you don't want to get a degree.

Good luck!

I don't think so, because art is the basic of everything. Graphic design is a form of art, and having a degree in art will help you find better jobs that you deserve. You will learn a tremendous amount and won't regret taking it. Take the chance you have and remember everything happens for a reason, so you'll find a lot more than art on the way. Yes, take a degree in art :)

It's not like your completely oblivious to the basics of art right? If you have faith in your talent, or the portfolio you might be composing at the moment, you should do fine without a degree in art. Yes, It always looks better, but if you have an extraordinary eye in graphic arts , they will look past that. Talent can take you a long way. Why would they want to hire a person who doesn't demonstrate the same excellence in their portfolio , compared to your portfolio, ? Only because he carries a piece of paper saying " I KNOW ART". However, if you don't have enough confidence in your ability, I suggest you earn your art degree. :T

Yes but a degree makes you appear more appealing and serious.

More worth in investing.

Shame but true