Jim asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 10 years ago

how dangerous is it to make a flame thrower with a hair spray can and lighter?

could the hair spray can explode?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

the can cannot explode, there is not enough oxygen in the can to support combustion and the ratio of fuel/air is miles off the explosive level.

But there are risks which you cannot control. stray droplets of spray can build up on your skin/surroundings and catch fire when you do not expect it, or the flame could blow back in the wind.

Either way, it is a very dangerous passtime!

I have seen videos of flame throwers made from car windscreen wash and a toy water gun - still not 100% safe, but way safer than hairspray, and a much better flamethrower to boot. look it up.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how dangerous is it to make a flame thrower with a hair spray can and lighter?

could the hair spray can explode?

Source(s): dangerous flame thrower hair spray lighter: https://tr.im/kT5t4
  • a
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I knew a person that sprayed lighter fluid on a beach log fire to keep it from going

out. The flame traveled up the stream of lighter fluid and exploded the can all over his

legs.

I have heard of similiar incidents of hair spray cans. The fluid can be like the wick on a

candle or the fuse to an explosion.

• Steffa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you're in a very risky game here. stop. people have been permanently scarred by the burns from exactly this kind of thing. don't be a fool.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

The hair spray can will not explode.. although unless you're a professional I wouldn't suggest trying this. There is not enough oxygen in the can to allow its contents to catch on fire.

• Tilly
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

A friend of a friend,made a flame thrower with hair spray. The flame travelled down to the can, resulting in the explosion of the can, shards of metal flying everywhere and the death of the kid. Saying that however I do know several more people who make hair spray flame throwers and are still living. I wouldn't take the risk though.

• ...Show all comments
    • Marneus6 years agoReport

i have some serious doubts that the kid died. because the flame CANT travel down to the can the only way the can can exploded is if the plastic of the can caught fire

• 10 years ago

It absolutely could - Its like smoking a cigarette at a gas station, it won't ALWAYS cause an explosion, but it could.

On the other hand - I've done this several times before in my younger years and I still have both hands and no burn marks...

Have fun - be safe.

• 10 years ago

yeah it can. when you're spraying it onto the lighter, all the mist coming out of the can is on fire(obviously). sometimes that fire will go right into the can, at which point it explodes in your face.

• 3 years ago

Hello, just wanted to mention, I liked this discussion. Very valuable replies

• susann
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

so amazed that I found this question already answered! it is like you read my mind!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.