Do I have potential so be an artist?

http://sef12.deviantart.com/

Im 19 and want to know if I will have what it takes in time. Any criticisms and tips are welcomed because I know I've a long way to go.

Favorite Answer

Yeah, I agree with Moz. I don't think only realistic graphite portraits will get you far in life, especially not now. From an artist's pov, you need to work on proportioning and shading, especially. In most of your drawings the facial features are off, (it seems like you focused too much on what you thought something looked like as opposed to what it actually looked like) and the shading isn't always spot on or neatly executed... you can see your pencil lines a little too much, and it's distracting. Your hair needs work, as well. From what I can see it's too stringy. It looks fairly well done in the Elisha Cuthbert drawing, but I can't see clearly enough to tell. I can see from your older drawings that you've improved a lot, so you're deifnitely getting somewhere. Take some more classes and keep practicing, and you'll get even better. I wouldn't try to make a career out of just doing those types of drawings, though, because really, you won't get far. Art today seems to be taking the graphic route, so you might be successful in that field instead of in fine arts, unless you want to be a teacher. You're adorable, btw :D

I answered your question about whether your "art was good enough to sell". You seem to be looking for people that just agree with you. As a gallery owner with 32 years dealing with thousands of artist and people who just think they are- I will tell you again - you need a lot of schooling and practice to be successful. Potential is hard to measure on just these drawings. So far I would probably not accept your portfolio if I was considering you as a student at my college. Perhaps you should just do art because it is fun for you and do something else for a living.

I have seen much better work from students 18-21 years old than yours. Sorry you just don't measure up. If this is your major then you will need to get some extra help. Listen to those who are really good at art not the young teens answering here that don't know anything except what they like. ( not the two posters on this particular question - but in general )

Look, it is hard to be objective about your own work.

Source(s): Grandpa
  • MOZ

As a hobby, yes.

As a career, not without a lot of work and some anatomy classes.

It doesn't mean you can't draw for your own pleasure.

It just means you will not do very well trying to support yourself with your art. It's just not that good from any type of commercial standpoint. There simply is no market for your type of drawing at your skill level.

Its a good starter but you need more practice to become a true artist. Take a few classes...that might help. And work on shading and lighting.

Well, I'm the same age as you and I say it depends on what type of artist you want to be.

Use more colours.