Tyler
Tyler asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why USA was such a horrible war criminal in the Vietnam war?

American military did many immoral things in the Vietnam War. 3,500,000 people died in this war. The most evil thing were My Lai massacre and bombing on Christmas days. The My Lai massacre was the mass murder of 347 to 504 unarmed citizens of the Republic of Vietnam, almost entirely civilians and the majority of them women and children, conducted by U.S. Army forces on March 16, 1968. Some of the victims were sexually abused, beaten, tortured, or maimed, and some of the dead bodies were mutilated. The massacre took place in the hamlets of My Lai and My Khe of Son My village. In the article “Murder in the name of war - My Lai”, the BBC described the scene:

Soldiers went berserk, gunning down unarmed men, women, children and babies. Families which huddled together for safety in huts or bunkers were shown no mercy. Those who emerged with hands held high were murdered. ... Elsewhere in the village, other atrocities were in progress. Women were gang raped; Vietnamese who had bowed to greet the Americans were beaten with fists and tortured, clubbed with rifle butts and stabbed with bayonets. Some victims were mutilated with the signature "C Company" carved into the chest. By late morning word had got back to higher authorities and a cease-fire was ordered. My Lai was in a state of carnage. Bodies were strewn through the village.

On Christmas in 1972, President Nixon mobilized 200 B52 bombers to bomb many North Vietnamese cities where millions of civilians were living. American pilots dropped 20,000 tons bombs in twelve days. Many buildings were destroyed such as schools, hospitals and residential areas; thousands of civilians died. The biggest newspaper in England, the Daily Mirror, commented, “The American resumption of bombing of North Vietnam has made the world recoil in revulsion.”

In that raid on Kham Thien quarter, Hanoi, the house at 51st Kham Thien street was totally destroyed. There were eight people in that family, and nobody survived. On this land, people built a memorial with a plate which was written “Kham Thien khac sau cam thu giac My (Kham Thien people hate American invaders very much).” Since then, annually, people from this quarter and other places come there to memorize the killed victims and American crimes. Vietnamese can forgive but never forget what America did on their country.

• hog b
    Favorite Answer

Look at some of the answers to give an indication of some of the sorts of callous, and unthinking people there are.

These type of people allow this sort of behavior, sanctioned by Government, to go unchecked.

• Spike

The USA was no more a nation guilty of war crimes than any other nation in history. The difference was that the Vietnam war was the first TV war and incedents were on TV back home in the USA before the bodies were cold in Vietnam. By its very definition the armed forces of a nation is designed to kill and destroy those of other nations or be destroyed themselves. Face it there is no nice way to kill someone and you need to be a ruthless bastard to do it......no wonder bad things happen in war.

If you think that's good...you really need to study what the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong did to Vietnamese civilians...it will knock your socks off!....

I know that your asking a question, but I'm trying to figure out the point of it. You have your answers and decisions made already. Now it is up to you do decide why.

Why were hundreds of American POWs tortured and killed?

Why don't you worry about something that you can change? The past is the past.

The Americans did all of those things because they could not defeat the vietnamese they had thrown everything they had at them and it never worked so they did exactly what the Nazi's to Britain if we can't beat them we'll bomb them

The war ended 35 years ago so get over it already

• Gots tuh git owt moar, budd

• Pete T

Don't ramble on about something of which you have no idea of what happened other than what some liberal school teacher or college professor has instilled into your young , unknowing mind.

Source(s): Vietnam vet.

Are you done crying?