I'm confused...the Pope is NOT higher than other Catholics?

I was repeatedly told on my other question (here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201007... ) that the Pope is NOT higher than others.

Then why is he called "Most Holy", "Most Holy Father", "Vicar of Christ" ( the title is comparable to lieutenant, literally the "place-holder"), "Supreme Pontiff", "His Holiness", "Most Blessed Father".

Would he wash the feet of someone who was NOT part of the clergy? An Average Joe Catholic?

Can an average person approach him and touch him?

If he's NOT held in higher regard, why when the Pope died in 2005 (I was in Rome at the time) was his picture plastered on enormous canvases in every cathedral I went into, including in France?

• Mindy
    Best Answer

I am a former Catholic and AFTER having learned the truth about the REAL Jesus of the Holy Scriptures and God's truth in general I happily removed myself as far away from the Catholic church as spiritually possible.

Jesus Christ, whom according to 1 Peter 2:21 is the God given model we are to closely follow and pattern our lives after, the very FOUNDER of Christianity itself NEVER acted in the way the Pope does.

Jesus didn't need bodyguards, he didn't wear specially made clothing or head wear that drew attention to himself, he always gave credit to God and he abided by Scripture as the final authority on matters rather than the popular traditions of men that existed in his day.

"Rod" said it all when he stated concerning the Pope... and I quote:

"He is the leader of the church, nothing more, nothing less."

The clergy of the Catholic church and the vast MAJORITY of it's members could care less that the Son of God himself said... and I quote:

"Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ."

~ Matthew 23:10

Contrary to what "Rod" stated, the LEADER of the church is not the Pope, but is Jesus Christ himself.

Jesus is MY LEADER, but then again, I am no longer a Catholic.

It is no wonder that Catholics consider the Pope as the leader of their church, then again, Catholics practice CATHOLICISM... NOT genuine 1st century CHRISTIANITY which was founded and taught by Jesus and practiced by the apostles and disciples of the 1st century.

"For unto this are you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you AN EXAMPLE that you should follow HIS STEPS."

~ 1 Peter 2:21

(Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible)

http://www.drbo.org/chapter/67002.htm

Ciao

The Catholics believe Jesus is God and the Pope is God's representative here on earth. This is why the Catholics have confession.

False religious beliefs are called the work of the harlot, it is because false beliefs are adulterated into true Bible doctrine in the same manner a harlot adulterates when she lays with a man, they become one flesh as pagan beliefs and true faith becomes one false teaching.

Faith is personal so one should examine their beliefs to make sure the agree with all the scriptures and not changed quotations and the traditions of man.

Setting any human as higher than another is a false teaching and is creature worship and is no different than idol worship, so revering the Pope or bowing down to the cross or the virgin Mary, both are wrong and not in true worship but more in line with the way the pagans worshiped their pagan gods.

1) I'm confused...the Pope is NOT higher than other Catholics?

Hmmmm...I think the problem here is semantics.

The Pope is the highest-ranking official in the Roman Catholic Church. In that sense, he is "higher" than other Roman Catholic - just like the U.S. President is of "higher" rank in the executive branch of the U.S. government than is any other American.

However, the Pope is - like every other Roman Catholic - a sinful human being in need of God's forgiveness. Titles like "Vicar of Christ" are titles of his rank (like "Mr. President" is a title of his rank) - not a title that implies he is somehow "better" than other Roman Catholics. Indeed, most people "sainted" by the Roman Catholic Church have never been Popes - by a huge margin.

2) Would he wash the feet of someone who was NOT part of the clergy?

You'd have to ask him. I'm sure it would depend on the situation.

3) Can an average person approach him and touch him?

The need for personal security does not indicate that someone is "higher" than someone else.

For Roman Catholics, the Pope is sort of like the NFL most valuable player for a football fan; he's a hero, a role model, the top of the heap - but he's still human. Roman Catholics certainly look on him with the same sort of "hero worship" that a football fan looks on his favorite player - but does that football fan consider his favorite player a "better man" than himself - or just a better football player? I'd guess that the average Roman Catholic considers the Pope to be the most devout Roman Catholic around - but they still recognize him as a sinful human, prone to error and in *just* as much need of the grace of God as anyone else.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

Your assertion that the Pope thinks himself above others is not only unsubstantiated but among the most irrational dismisals of the faith I've yet to encounter. Even if your ridiculous assertion were true and the Pope did think himself greater an average Joe Catholic, this is no reason to reject Catholicism which trumpets the virtue of humilty.

The Pope is just the first among equals; he's is just a human being.

The vision of Vatican II was that ministers are servants of the people.

The Pope is minister to all the other ministers. All those other titles are honorary.

Anyone can request an audience with the Pope. But his schedule is tight.

Source(s): Catholic Deacon

You really need to learn some BASIC elements of Christianity. The Pope is NOT higher than other Catholics but the office of Papacy IS. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

You must be a Jehovahs Witness I'm guessing.

It depends on what you call higher.

The hierarchy of the Catholic Church looks like this.

1. God

2. The Church, the People of God love and serve the Lord

3. Religious sisters (nuns) and brothers (monks) serve God and the People of God

4. Deacons serve God and the People of God (including religious)

5. Priests serve God and the People of God (including religious and deacons)

6. Bishops serve God, the local Church (the diocese, the People of God including religious, deacons, and priests)

7. The Pope serves God and the entire Church (the People of God including religious, deacons, priests, and bishops). This is why the Pope is called the servant of the servants of God.

Men who become Pope serve in lower and lower roles until they are the servants of everyone.

The hierarchy of ordained ministers in the Catholic Church mirrors how Jesus and the Apostles set up the original Christian Church. There are three levels of Holy Orders, Deacon, Priest, and Bishop.

Deacons serve the Church by assisting the bishop and priests in the celebration of the Eucharist, in the distribution of Holy Communion, in assisting at and blessing marriages, in the proclamation of the Gospel and preaching, in presiding over funerals, and in dedicating themselves to the various ministries of charity.

Priests serve the Church as co-workers of the bishops and can lead a parish. A special title for a priest is monsignor. Priests are called presbyters in the Bible.

Bishops are the Apostles of today. Each bishop serves the Church by leading a diocese which a group of parishes centered around a large city. Special types of bishop are archbishop, cardinal, and pope (who leads the whole Church).

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt3....

With love in Christ.

Well, to judge by my Catholic girlfriend in highschool, he'd have to smoke one butt load of weed to be higher than her and some of her friends from her Church Youth Group.

The Pope is no closer to any God than anyone else.

the pope is just a man

nothing more