Rusty asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 10 years ago

I'm looking for a Russo Clark & Wife Josie Clark?

I have been researching my family tree for some time now and finally I have made some headway, but now I'm at another standstill until I find out the dates and where a bouts of these two individuals. I found a death record of my great grandfathers '"'Ben Clark"" that listed a Russo Clark as the father and it also look like it had a "II" beside the name which makes me think he was a Russo Clark JR or second. Also it listed a Josie Clark maiden name unknown as the mother. The only listing I have found online about a Russo and Josie Clark was a listing of a R. L Clark JR that was married to a Josie and was born in Westmoreland Virginia. I'm not sure if the R. stands for Russo or not. I wouldn't think that Russo Clark would be that hard to find for the simple fact that Russo is more common as a surname not a first-name, but all my searches come back empty. If there is anyone out there that knows anything about a Russo Clark with a wife named Josie and at least one child named Ben it would be greatly appreciated if they could reply to this post or send me a message.

Favorite Answer

Russo is a rare but not unique surname. "Russo" could have been given it as a first name in honor of someone, or he might have started life as "John Russo Clark" or "Hezekiah Russo Clark" and used it because he liked it better. I found your Ben:

Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953

Name: Ben Clark

Death Date: 27 May 1952

Death Location: Warren

Residence Location: Warren

Birth Date: 10 Jun 1892

Birth Location: Edmonson, Kentucky

Father's Name: Russo Clark

Mother's Name: Josie

This was the only census entry that came close, and it doesn't fit very well:

1900: South Leitchfield, Grayson, Kentucky; Roll T623_523; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 22.

Josiphine Cla* 24 [34]

George P Cla* 17

Leander Clark 16

Benjamin H Clark 9 [Jul 1891]

John T Clark 5

Ellen Maulden 23

You need to get Ben's obituary. If it says he was survived by, or preceded in death by, brothers George, Leander and John, this is him. If he had sisters Alice, Betty and Carol, this isn't him. If he has the right brothers and half-brothers Tom, Dick and Harry Smith, you'll have his mother's second married name.